This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

More often than not, we hear about all of the horrible effects of climate change and global warming. Unfortunately, there’s not much we as individuals can do to address climate change without large corporations stepping up. In honor of Earth Day on April 22, here is some good news about the environment to distract your environment anxiety.

• The UN has agreed on a plastic pollution treaty

The UN Environment Agency has called it “the most significant environmental deal since the Paris accord.” This will be the first global plastic pollution treaty. Although the details of the final pact are still being worked out it could have huge effects on businesses and economies around the world. It is due to be finalized by 2024.

• Biden has invoked the Defense Production Act

The Defense Production Act is the primary source to accelerate and expand the supply of materials and services. Biden invoked this ​​as part of his effort to accelerate our transition to renewable energy by speeding up several mining and extracting projects.

• Starbucks eliminated PFAs in their packaging

PFAs are highly toxic fluorinated chemicals, they are found in hundreds of products and never break down in the environment or in our systems. However, Starbucks announced they’ll be eliminating PFAS in its food packaging materials by the end of 2022. The announcement follows the Toxic-Free Future’s (TFF) Mind the Store campaign to phase out PFAS from retail food packaging.

• Panama’s reforestation strategies 

Panama’s public and private sectors embarked on forest restoration and reforestation efforts to meet their 2025 carbon emissions reduction targets. The project will be looking at areas that have been affected by cattle and other efforts to improve forest hydrology. Through the project, researchers are looking to determine which technique will offer the best ecological, social, and economic solution. 

• Honolulu has won its lawsuit

Through their lawsuit, the City and County of Honolulu attempted to hold oil companies accountable for climate change impacts that threaten Oahu. ​The plaintiffs argued the fossil fuel industry engaged in deception to discredit climate science and sow doubt in the mind of the public that fossil fuel production was harming the planet. The court ruled in favor of Honolulu’s fight to hold oil companies accountable for global warming. This lawsuit is the first time an American judge has ruled to reject an argument from fossil fuel companies.

Individuals alone can not win the fight against climate change, but their efforts matter. With more and more efforts being made by the government or by court systems, we are one step closer to reducing the massive effects of climate change.

Julia is a national writer at Her Campus, where she mainly covers mental health, wellness, and all things relating to Gen Z. Prior to becoming a national writer, Julia was the wellness intern for Her Campus. Outside of Her Campus, Julia is a managing editor at The Temple News, Temple University's independent student-run paper. She's also the Co-Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Temple University, where she oversees content for all sections of the website. Julia is also a student intern at the Logan Center for Urban Investigative Reporting, where she works on the data desk and is assisting her editor in building a database. She has previously interned at The American Prospect. In her free time, Julia enjoys going to the beach as much as possible, watching reality TV (specifically Real Housewives and Vanderpump Rules), and editing stories.