This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

It seems that young women across the country are going under the knife now, more than ever before. Last semester, a classmate told me that she was going to take out extra student loans so she could make her itty bitty A’s larger. Extra loans to pay for a boob job? No thank you. Do you ever think of why women, especially young women want to change the way they look? Are celebs like Kylie Jenner- although it is still unclear whether or not she has actually had surgery, or uses lip liner to make her lips appear bigger-  the inspiration for this plastic surgery frenzy?

Rachel Keller, 19, a sophomore at Temple University, believes cosmetic surgery should only be performed when necessary.

“…If you really have to [undergo surgery], because [the problem area] is really bothering your self-esteem and you think your life will be better, I think [plastic surgery] is okay in moderation,” Keller said.

Keller, however, does not believe young women should not have unnatural cosmetic enhancement.

“We see girls getting huge size F boob jobs, or extremely huge butts that are unproportioned to their bodies. It just doesn’t look tasteful,” she said.

She says the only times where plastic surgery is unquestionably appropriate, is in the event of an accident.

“I think if someone gets into some type of accident, and let’s say their nose gets chunked up, then yes, it’s okay for them to have surgery to fix their nose,” Keller said.

What do men think? Do they like their women to look like the women on TV? Or do they like them “au natural”?

Jason Long, 22 and a junior at Temple University has mixed views on plastic surgery.

“I think [plastic surgery] is okay to a certain extent,” said Long. “Something small is fine, as long as it’s not face altering.”

What about boob jobs? Butt implants?

“I don’t really like when girls have breast or butt implants. But, I mean, if Nicki Minaj was in the room, I wouldn’t turn her away, said Long.

Omari Coleman, 20, junior at Temple University says the media is to blame for young women seeking cosmetic surgery.

“I think there’s a certain societal pressure to it…some people do it for the wrong reasons. They want to look like what the mainstream media says looks good,” Coleman said.

Coleman says young women’ idols have a Euro-centric look, which makes them want to be like their idols.

“I definitely think celebrities have a major influence on girls’ decisions to get cosmetic surgery,” Coleman said. The Beyonce’s the Nicki Minaj’s… those are the people we always see. Light skin, blonde hair, full lips.”

“You have to love who you are first. If you want to get lip injections just because you want bigger lips, that’s fine,” Coleman said. “You shouldn’t get lip injections because you think ‘I need bigger lips so someone will think I’m cute,’” Coleman adds

I am a 19-year-old Broadcast Journalism/ Public Relations major at Temple University. I have dreams of reporting entertainment news in Spanish one day. I love Trey Songz!
Kaitlin is an alumna of Temple University where she graduated with a B.A. in Journalism and a minor in Political Science. At Temple, she served as Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Temple and was a founding member and former Public Relations Vice President for the Iota Chi chapter of Alpha Xi Delta.  She currently serves Her Campus Media as a Region Leader and Chapter Advisor and was formally a Feature Writer for Fashion, Beauty and Health.