Getting Around Town: A Guide to Transportation in Philly

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.
If you’re new to Philly or new to taking public transportation in general, things can get confusing. Philly has a variety of options to serve your transportation needs. Whether it’s Uber, SEPTA, or a traditional cab, I’m here to give you the basics on each system.

Uber
The cab like service runs in the city 24 hours a day. To request Uber service, you can download the app available on any smartphone. From there, the app finds your location, and with the click of a button you can request a ride in no time. It even shows you how close your ride is and your expected wait time, making the service super convenient. It can take you anywhere in the city for a reasonable fare, depending on how far you’re going and you make your payment through the app. Also, you can conveniently split your fare if you’re riding with a friend, or request an SUV if you have a large group. Plus who doesn’t want to arrive at their destination in a black SUV? Uber gives you instant celeb status. 

SEPTA (Southeastern Pennsylvania Transit Authority)
This is the premier public transportation system in the Greater Philadelphia area. The system serves Bucks, Chester, Delaware, Montgomery and Philadelphia County. They have different lines that connect you to your destination including Regional Rail, Market-Frankford Line, Broad Street Line (which has a stop on Temple’s Main Campus) and the Norristown High Speed Line. These lines can take you to major points of the city including Center City, and the South Philly stadiums just to name a couple. SEPTA also has trolleys and buses. 

Taxis
If you need a cab, no worries. You can pretty much find one anywhere in the city. However, Philly’s most popular cab service is Checker Cab. Checker cab has the largest fleet of taxis in the city. They even have an app called 215 get a cab, where you can request a cab with no surcharges, instant confirmation, and advance reservations. It runs locally and to the airport, if you ever need a ride there. To order a cab you can also call 215-GET-A-CAB.

All of these services make getting around Philly easier and more comfortable. Choose one of these options to get to your next destination and you won’t be disappointed with the results. SEPTA has a great convenience factor, Taxis are great when you are in a jam or use Uber when riding in style is a necessity

Caitlin Byrd is originally from Washington, DC. She is a criminal justice major and an aspiring attorney. She loves to meet new people and writing is one of her favorite hobbies. 
Lindsey is a senior magazine journalism major at Temple University. After she graduates in May she hopes to return to NYC, which she fell in love with this summer during her ASME internship at Real Simple magazine.