Freshman Food Guide To Philly

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Congratulations, you have now made it to freshmen year at Temple and one thing you need to learn is how to have a budget. Coming from experience it is not always easy, but lucky for you there is guidance. One of my biggest struggles of freshmen (and sophomore) year was the constant usage of a meal plan. Sometimes food that isn’t a buffalo chicken wrap or an Einstein bagel sounds unbelievably appetizing. The only issue is that you are new to the city and have no idea where to begin and your bank account might be getting low since discovering Walnut Street Shopping District. Fear not, because HCTU has a great list for you.

Reading Terminal MarketOne of the hardest decisions you may ever make throughout your time at Temple is where you should eat first at Reading Terminal. There is a plethora of vendors located on 12th and Market Street and the best thing is they are all inside the confines of the Reading Terminal Market, which is open year round! At this food heaven you are sure to find something to satisfy your taste buds. Your options range from vegetarian dishes to some of the best sandwiches you’ll ever eat at Dinick’s. This food hub is cash only, so it’s good for the credit card users out there since you’ll have a limited budget. 

Restaurant Week(s)With this fall’s restaurant week right around the corner (September 7-12 and 14-19), I thought it would only be appropriate to share with you one of my favorite times of the year. All throughout Philadelphia in both January and September, there is 100+ restaurants who participate in restaurant week. During this very special time, each participating restaurant creates a condensed menu off of which patrons choose items for three different courses, typically including an appetizer, entree and dessert. This steal comes in at a measly $20 for lunch or $35 for dinner. For many of the restaurants, this is a major deal! Half of the time, you can barely get away with spending less than 50 bucks at the participating restaurants. Reservations tend to fill up quickly though, so you have to call ahead!

Soho PizzaYou haven’t had pizza, until you’ve had Soho. Their pizza is downright amazing, and you will only leave wanting more. Forget about Maxi’s tonight, and take a nice trip down to Old City for pizza that is bound to blow your socks off. The exact address is 218 Market St. Don’t miss out! I once had a friend tell me she would “give her right arm for Soho Pizza.”

Food Trucks Two words: food trucks. They are dispersed all over Temple’s campus, and some of them have amazing food. The trucks tend to be a cheaper option than places like Chipotle or Cosi, although, they are always good options if you like a variety in your diet. Some of my favorite trucks include, The Creperie, Sexy Green Truck and the Halal trucks. Since these eateries are easy to access, you can grab some food in between classes without worries of being late. Prices are also decent ranging from $5-$10 for a good lunch.

CheesesteaksWhat kind of Philly food guide would this be without a suggestion for a place to grab an amazing cheesesteak? Any stereotypical Philadelphia tourist would tell you to go to Pat’s or Geno’s, and don’t get me wrong, you should. After all, you’re only going to be living in Philly for a short four years so please, by all means, fulfill your tourist-y fantasies. I am merely here to suggest that you try different places too. One of my favorites is Jim’s located on South Street, but you are now in the birthplace of the cheesesteak, keep an open mind! Don’t rule out a restaurant just because it is not Pat’s or Geno’s. 

Philadelphia is now your home, freshmen. Use its amazing amenities the most you can, but try not to break the bank while you’re at it. This list barely summarizes all of the incredible dining establishments in Philly, so go out and explore!