The Flash: A Combination of Action, Mystery, and Heart

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

The much-anticipated third season of “The Flash” premiered on Oct. 4 with 3.17 million viewers.

The season two finale left off at a major cliffhanger, where Barry Allen travelled back in time to stop Eobard Thawne from killing his mother, Nora. This single event would change everything.

After speculating for two seasons, fans finally received an answer to the question: How would Barry’s life have been different if his mom was never murdered?

The first episode of season three, “Flashpoint,” offered fans a different view on the characters they all know and love.

It is always interesting to see “The Flash” actors tackle their characters in a different way, much like when Barry visited Earth-2. Seeing the characters distanced from each other made us miss their close relationships in the original timeline. Although fans can agree that the Flashpoint timeline certainly isn’t better, it was heartwarming to see Barry have special moments with his parents, who are both alive in this timeline. It was also exciting to see a new hero in Wally West as the Kid Flash. Will we see Kid Flash again in the future?

In the second episode, “Paradox,” Barry goes back to his own timeline and notices several changes that have affected those close to him. He tries to go back in time again, but Jay Garrick stops him and says that Barry now has to live with the consequences of his actions. This certainly makes us feel for Barry and the other characters. This episode also introduced us to Julian Albert, portrayed by “Harry Potter” star Tom Felton, who does not seem to trust Barry.

In the next two episodes, “Magenta” and “The New Rogues,” we see familiar faces such as Harrison Wells and Jesse from Earth-2, and new characters such as Magenta, Mirror Master, Alchemy, and Wells from Earth-19. New relationships are also formed as Barry and Iris start dating, and Jesse and Wally develop feelings for each other. Finally, we see Jesse as the newest speedster under the name “Jessie Quick,” and Caitlin beginning to develop powers, just like Killer Frost.

The first four episodes of The Flash’s third season leave us with several questions: Will Wally become Kid Flash again? Will Harrison Wells and Jesse return to Earth-1? Can we trust the new Harrison Wells? Will Caitlin finally tell the others about her powers?

This season will definitely explore new relationships between the characters, old and new. At this point, the plot can go in many ways. The great thing is that “The Flash” takes well-loved characters from the comics and makes it its own. The characters in the show are not exact replicas from the comics and instead, stand on their own. It will be amazing to see which direction the show will take.

The combination of heartfelt moments, action scenes, and mysteries involved in the plot make the third season of “The Flash” definitely one to watch this fall!

My name is Michele Mendez and I am a student at Temple University studying Media Studies and Production. I like to write about all things pop culture, but I especially love covering music. Have a story idea? Contact me: tug15970@temple.edu
Samara is currently a senior Journalism major at Temple University. She has always possessed a passion for writing and currently serves as the Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus Temple. Eventually, she hopes to work in the magazine industry. In her free time, she loves exploring the city of Philadelphia, trying new restaurants, and attending concerts. Samara can be reached at samara.grossel@temple.edu.