Five Oscar Nominated Movies You Need to See

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

With the Oscars coming up in the end of February who wouldn’t be excited?! What’s even better is that the nominees are already released! This means that if you haven’t seen that certain movie yet, now is the best time to do so! Connect to Netflix or even head over to the movie theater, because here are five Oscar nominated movies you need to see!

First and foremost, American Sniper, it has six Oscar nominations! Including best picture, best film editing, and best actor in a leading role (the ever so dreamy Bradly Cooper of course!) If you are a military buff or even if you’re not, this movie is bound to touch your heart. It is based on the true story of former military marksmen Chris Kyle. This movie beautifully touches on the effects of PTSD (post-traumatic stress disorder) and how serious this condition really is. This movie is a definite must-see!

Another must-see is the movie Selma. Nominated for best music (original song) and best picture which is well deserved. The movie covers the important historical event of the era of Martin Luther King Jr. and the marches that went on in Selma, Alabama. This is a movie you most definitely do not want to miss and will be sure to leave you motivated and wanting to do more.

Maleficent is like revisiting your childhood except this time evil is good. Nominated for best costume design, Angelina Jolie puts a magical twist on the classic Sleeping Beauty Villain. A perfect family movie, it teaches the lesson that there are always two sides to every story. This movie allows you to watch through Maleficent’s eyes and it is marvelous!

Another magical movie that you need to see is Into the Woods. It is a Broadway classic with an all-star cast. What more could you ask for? It even has Meryl Streep as the witch! This movie perfectly ties all the fairy tale classics into one gigantic story. It is both humorous and enjoyable. Plus it is a total sing-a-long (which will be stuck in your head for days!) Nominated for Best Costume Design, Best Actress in a Supporting Role (Meryl Streep), and Best Production Design. There is no reason not to see this movie!

Last but not least you need to go see Gone Girl. This is without a doubt the best psycho thriller of 2014, we don’t care if it was only nominated for Best Actress in a Supporting Role. This movie is guaranteed to leave you both confused and speechless, and you will love every moment of it!

Lindsey is a senior magazine journalism major at Temple University. After she graduates in May she hopes to return to NYC, which she fell in love with this summer during her ASME internship at Real Simple magazine.