Style

Five Fashion Must-Haves

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Fashion can take many directions by mixing and matching almost anything. However, there are a few pieces that every girl needs to have in their closet all year round. They help to make the basis for an outfit and can be dressed up or dressed down in tons of different ways.

These are five items that are essential to your closet.

1. Plain white t-shirt

If you have this in your closet, you can pretty much wear it with anything. A white tee can really come in handy when you’re not sure what to wear, because this article of clothing is so versatile. To dress it up, wear it with nice jeans, a cardigan and a cute pair of booties. To make it more casual and comfortable, wear it with leggings and running shoes.

2. Pair of jeans

Whether they be skinny jeans or you’re hopping on the trend of 90’s mom jeans, these are a necessity for your wardrobe. They make an outfit look more put together no matter what. For example, if you’re wearing an outfit with leggings, you can swap them out for a pair of jeans and instantly look like you spent a little more time getting ready.

3. Cozy sweater

When in doubt, wear a sweater. Every time I want to dress up a bit in the winter, or I’m going for an interview, a sweater is my go-to clothing piece. They’re comfortable while still looking clean and professional, which is perfect for those days where you don’t feel like putting in too much effort.

4. Black booties

I firmly believe every closet should have a pair of black booties. They go with almost every single outfit imaginable — I’ve never seen a girl wearing black boots that didn’t match her outfit well. They’re perfect for interviews, going out with friends downtown, attending events, and walking to class.

5. Leggings

While people see leggings as more of clothing item you wear when you’re working out or just relaxing around your house, I think that they’re good for when you want to be comfortable but also not look like you rolled out of bed. Leggings are a great essential, especially for college and going to class. You can make them look more put together too by wearing a sweater, white vans/booties, and accessories such as beanies, scarfs, and jewelry.

While the list may be short, your outfit possibilities will be endless by having these five items in your closet.

Lover of the CATS and Law and Order SVU