Fall Staples You Need to Survive This Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

If ever you needed an excuse to go shopping, the changing seasons is a perfect one. With new trends to try and colder weather to adjust to, now is the best time to go and find your new fall wardrobe. We all know college gals are always ballin’ on a budget, so we can’t be dropping a ton of money on clothes! But you can absolutely change up your wardrobe while still being on trend by just grabbing a few staple pieces. Here are a few options for inspiration:

1. Statement Blouse

A statement blouse (try this one from H&M) works on different levels. Having one in your wardrobe gives you the option of dressing it up or making it more casual! Think dressy for your internship or an upcoming interview. For a more casual look, wear the top with black jeans to weekend brunch! A blouse like this makes you look all the more put together, no matter how much effort you put into getting ready.

2. Layerable Slip Dress

Slip dresses came back in a big way last year. They are so chic and versatile seasonally. For fall, having one go-to slip dress in your closet is another way you can look trendy while staying in budget. Layering a slip dress over a plain white t-shirt is just one way to style it, but the possibilities are endless. Try this one from Forever 21.

3. Cropped Denim Jeans

Denim should be in your wardrobe in some form throughout all seasons. Now that fall is in full swing, your jeans can finally come out to play. Changing up your usual pair of jeans by opting for a new cropped pair, like this pair from H&M. Different denim styles are just another way to add a new staple that’s fun and cute.

4. Striped T-Shirt

A striped t-shirt is another staple everyone should have in their closet. Striped tees can be worn with so many different bottoms: jeans, leggings, skirts, everything. Versatility is key with staple items and a striped tee will never fail you! You can typically find a plain striped t-shirt everywhere, but this one from ASOS is only $13.

5. Leather Jacket

A leather jacket is a power move for fall. They are edgy and fun, while still being on-trend and versatile. Some faux leather jackets are rather inexpensive, but investing in a high quality jacket (like this one from ASOS) will let you wear it year after year without fear of it falling apart.

Choosing closet staples should be fun and unique to your style. These five basic pieces are perfect to grab over and over again as the season goes on. They all offer versatility across the board, leaving it up to you to figure out how to style and re-style different outfits for the entire fall season. Happy shopping!

Temple University, 2019. Magazine journalist and editor, fitness instructor, health and wellness enthusiast. Proponent of lists, Jesus, and the Oxford comma. Will do anything for an iced oatmilk latte. Follow my journey: Twitter + Instagram: @sarah_madaus