Everything You Need To Know about the Tea Trend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

There is no denying that tea has been in the spot light lately and a lot of people, including celebrities like Gwyneth Paltrow, Lady GaGa and Jennifer Aniston are huge advocates for it. You can get many various benefits from tea that you can’t get in any other food or drink, and this study proves it. Each different kind of tea holds its own unique qualities with different levels of caffeine and delicious flavors.

Overall Benefits of Drinking Tea:

• Lowers the risk for heart disease and stroke
  • Contains cancer-fighting agents
  • Increases metabolism
  • Strengthens and protects bones
  • Improve mood, concentration and performance

Why it’s unique:

Tea contains special catechins that are difficult to find in any other food and drink.

So what are catechins exactly? They’re unique antioxidants, and the highest amounts are found in tea leaves. Smaller amounts of catechins are also found in red wine, chocolate, berries, and apples. The highest amount of catechins are found in green tea, this has to do with the process tea goes through and where green tea differs in this process. Black tea takes a longer time to ferment and oxidize, which causes it to lose some of the antioxidants that green tea still hold.

Types:

Green Tea:

Due to its processing, green tea has the most nutritional benefits and contains the most catechins. Green tea gives a more delicate flavor and contains 25 milligrams of caffeine per cup. Added benefits:

• Lowers cholesterol
  • Keeps skin looking nice
  • Prevents bad breath
  • Protects liver
  • Lowers stress
  • Hydrates more than water

Black Tea:

Black tea has a more bitter taste, but contains about 40 milligrams of caffeine per cup. Added benefits:

• Reduces risk for diabetes
  • Lower blood pressure

Oolong Tea:

Oolong tea has a richer taste and is less processed than black tea. It has about 30 milligrams of caffeine per cup. Added benefits:

• Aids in weight loss
  • Improves digestion
  • Fights tooth decay and cavities
  •  Protects skin from sun damage

White Tea:

These leaves have a very mild taste because they are picked very young, this makes white tea very low in caffeine, with only 15 milligrams per glass. Added benefits:

• Contains anti-inflammatory
  • Helps with arthritis and osteoporosis
  • Boosts immune system

Chai Tea:

Chai tea has many different recipes, depending on how drinkers prefer it to taste. Some of the ingredients usually include ginger, cinnamon, cloves, black pepper and either black, green or oolong tea as well. Most chai tea contains milk, but can be substituted with soymilk or other nondairy milk products. Chai tea can also be one of the most highly caffeinated teas, at about 40 milligrams per cup, and is a great substitute for ones daily cup of coffee. Added benefits:

• Soothes the stomach

What if I hate tea?

Matcha green tea, which is a green tea powder, can be added to smoothies and other recipes. One glass of matcha can be equivalent to 10 glasses of green tea when comparing nutritional value. There are also green tea vitamins that will give you the same nutrients that green tea can.

Lindsey is a senior magazine journalism major at Temple University. After she graduates in May she hopes to return to NYC, which she fell in love with this summer during her ASME internship at Real Simple magazine.