photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash
photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash

Everything You Need to Know About the Latest Mercury in Retrograde

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

From October 31 to November 20, we entered into Mercury retrograde in Scorpio season and… BOI were we in for a treat. Mercury is the planet of communication and when it starts into retrograde, it is notorious for causing big old problems in our lives — or maybe just bringing to light all the problems that we really would just rather ignore. Either way, we all went through it while mercury was acting up. 

Mercury in retrograde is currently over for 2019, but chances are, you still may not understand exactly what it was and how it affected you. Well, there is always a purpose to all the trouble retrograde causes in our lives and it’s different for every person. So, based on your sign, this is what you can learn/gain/understand better so that you’re prepared for the next Mercury in retrograde.

Air signs (Gemini, Libra, Aquarius)

The Four of Pentacles in reverse 

Air signs, you had been clinging onto these pentacles for way too long and you knew you that you needed to let go. It seriously wasn’t helping anything. This retrograde aided you in releasing this false control you’ve been clinging to. Once you actually let go of all those things/feelings/people/ideas/anything that you knew you needed to let go of (I know you know what I’m talking about), you were finally able to get what you want. 

The theme here is that you cannot keep things that aren’t meant for you around because all they do is take up unnecessary space. You are leaving no room for the things that are meant for you. This retrograde was a time for you to surrender everything and learn to be comfortable with not knowing exactly what will happen.

Fire signs (Aries, Leo, Sagittarius)

The Tower 

You fire signs were in desperate need of a change during this past retrograde. You knew that this change was coming and had been avoiding it for some time now, but this past retrograde did not let you get away with it. This “ tower moment” could have come at a crisis point or in a moment of profound discovery for you. You knew that this change won’t be easy — that’s why you pushed it off for so long. However, after your tower moment, you felt like a brand new person. The general theme here is to stop waiting!

Earth signs  (Taurus, Virgo, Capricorn)

The Hierophant reversed 

You had probably felt like you had been overextending yourself to please others. You’d been overworked and over-generous. This past retrograde was a time for you to learn to stop spreading yourself too thin. 

This retrograde wanted to teach you to take some time for yourself without worrying about what you can do for others. Never feel guilty for giving yourself some much-needed attention.

Water signs (Pisces, Cancer, Scorpio) 

The Two of Swords 

Water signs, you all had a big decision to make during this retrograde. With the blindfold around your eyes, the chaos of this retrograde impaired your ability to make the right decision. With all the issues that this retrograde brought up, it was important for you to focus on your intuition above anything else. During your Mercury in retrograde, the information you that you were getting regarding your situation may not have been entirely accurate. However, your intuition was telling you what to do, which left you with a big decision. This retrograde was giving you no other option but to strengthen your institution and to trust it blindly. 

Retrograde ended on Nov. 20 (thank God), but now you’ll be prepared for the next one, beginning Feb. 17.
Hi, I am Marygrace Irvine! I am a sophomore at Temple University studying English and Political science.
When Rachel isn't obsessively drinking iced coffee by the gallon or binge watching true crime videos on YouTube, you can probably find her writing about her failed love life. She is currently a  junior (*she's ancient*) journalism major at Temple University, and is a Her Campus Temple Campus Correspondent, a Temple Student Government Social Media Manager and a 2020 Owl Team Student Coordinator.