Events and Festivals Happening in Philly This Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Fall is the perfect time to go out and explore the city of Philadelphia. The weather is cool and it’s finally time to pull out scarves, sweaters, leg warmers and boots. Living in the city of Philadelphia not only provides some seriously fun parties during ~Halloweekend~, but some pretty interesting events that are happening literally miles away.

Here are five events happening in the area that you definitely should check out.

1. Terror Behind The Walls

Location: Eastern State Penitentiary: 2027 Fairmount Ave, Philadelphia, PA 19130

Returning for yet another year of scares and screams, the Eastern State Penitentiary is known for its six terrifying attractions inside a real, haunted prison. And good news, Owls, students receive a discount if they go on Sunday nights after 7:30 p.m. So, instead of going out to your favorite frat house this weekend — which, honestly, is still sort of scary — try out Terror Behind the Walls.

2. Witches and Wizards Weekend

Location: Various locations — Chestnut Hill

Calling all Harry Potter fans — yeah, I know you’re out there. The Witches and Wizards Festival (formerly known as the Harry Potter festival) is back and brand new for 2018. The festival is fun for all ages, but anyone who is ~legal~ can enjoy a special bar crawl that features live music and actors that can breathe fire, as well as ones that are dressed as creepy zombies. Various other non-drinking activities include a corn maze, Quidditch matches and more. This October 19 and 20, get your wand and partake in the action.           

3. Movies at The Reel

Location: Temple University (Go Owls!)

Ready to not sleep for a solid month? Great! Head over Temple University’s movie theater, The Reel, for the showing of A Quiet Place from October 11 through the 14. A Quiet Place surrounds a family that is hiding from creatures that attack just from sound — lovely. Tickets are available to purchase at the box office on October 4. The movie is playing at 7 p.m., for you early birds, and 10 p.m., for you night owls, throughout the week. Tickets are $2 with your TUID and $4 without, so all of us broke college students have no excuse.

For those who don’t feel like being perpetually terrified for the rest of the semester, The Reel is offering a dinner and movie featuring Walt Disney’s The Lion King on November 8 for $5.

4. The Glow: A Jack O’Lantern Experience

Location: West Fairmount Park, 5201 Parkside Avenue, Philadelphia, PA 19131

Walk around West Fairmount Park and check out about 5,000 nicely carved pumpkins with familiar characters including Disney princesses, celebrities and more. The event starts on October 4 and runs until October 28. BTW, this spooky event is the perfect place for some picture opportunities — so maybe snap a selfie with a pumpkin Kim Kardashian? Seriously though, if Kim K. isn’t there, I’m leaving.

5. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory: The Broadway Musical

Location: The Kimmel Center, 300 S Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA 19102

First a book, then made into two films, and now a Broadway musical. First featured in New York City, the musical is making its way down to the City of Brotherly Love. The show is being performed at the Kimmel Center from November 6 through the 18. Ticket prices range from $25 to $127, but student discounts are available for certain showings.

Living in the city, we have the world at our fingertips — or, at least a Septa ride away. Honestly, we truly have no excuse not to partake in some spooky Halloween activities, you know, that go beyond parties.

Ashley is a senior journalism major at Temple University. She loves music, concerts, and celebrities. She loves to write all things fashion, lifestyle, and pop culture! Instagram: ashleygale23