Style > Beauty

Sunscreens That Keep Melanated Skin Protected, Perfected, and with No White Cast in Sight 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Happy Black History Month! February is the month where we should stand tall and be proud of ourselves. Black people have contributed to some of the U.S.’s most iconic moments — from the various hairstyles to fashion trends and more.  

But as we dive into Black History Month, it’s not just about celebrating the incredible achievements and contributions of Black people — it’s also about shining a light on issues that matter to the community.  

One of those issues? Sunscreen that works for people with melanin-rich skin. Yes, the more Melanin one has, the more protection from the sun. However, that does not mean UV rays can’t still be harmful. 

Let’s be real: traditional sunscreens have been dropping the ball when catering to darker skin tones. For too long, many of us have been stuck with formulas that leave us looking like we’re auditioning for a mime act rather than protecting our skin from those UV rays. And trust me, as a dark-skin girl myself, the last thing I want to do is appear ashy. But here’s the thing: we’re seeing some positive changes lately. 

In this article, we will check out some sunscreens that are doing it right—keeping us protected from the sun’s harmful rays without leaving behind that dreaded white cast. These products aren’t just about skincare; they’re about celebrating the beauty and diversity of melanin-rich skin. So, let’s dive in and find the perfect sunscreen that’s got your back (literally) this Black History Month.  

1. Black girl sunscreen spf 30 $18.99  

This sunscreen is infamous and a majority of people’s favorites. I just got the chance to try it this last fall, and honestly, I like it. It didn’t take long to rub in, the formula is fragrance-free, and it doesn’t leave my face feeling overly sticky. Although a bit pricey, it is a great investment for a glowy, protected look.   

1. Trader Joe’s Daily facial sunscreen spf 40 $8.99  

I know what you’re thinking “Sunscreen from Trader Joe’s?“ As odd as it sounds, the sunscreen is good. It is very lightweight and only takes about two rubs to seep into the skin. Which frankly is great when you’re always on the go. Although now, it is not as big as some other sunscreens on the market, especially since it is known as the dupe for the $38 Supergoop sunscreen plus for less than 10 dollars it can’t be beaten!   

1. Neutrogena Hydro Boost sunscreen Spf 50 ($11.49) 

This was one of the first sunscreens I tried during my search, that didn’t make me look like Casper. I liked it. I felt like it was lightweight, It did the job, and since it’s SPF 50, I didn’t have to reapply as often. The best part?: It’s only $10, and a bottle is comparable to black girl sunscreen. The only drawback is that it is highly fragrant, which didn’t bother me, but could bother a few people. 

1. Good Molecules Sheer mineral sunscreen spf 30 ($12)  

Now, this is one of my favorite brands for my skin. This sunscreen, in particular, was nice. It didn’t take that much rubbing to seep into the skin. It’s lightweight, and I liked how the finish isn’t greasy compared to other sunscreens. Plus, for the price, it’s a pretty big tube. 

1. Bond Sandi Sunscreen spf 50+ ($10) 

Last but not least, my favorite of all time, this one takes no time to seep into the skin. It always gives me a glowy effect, and I never feel overly greasy. Also, it is fragrance-free, which is wonderful for people who have overly sensitive skin. Compared to other products, the SPF is higher, which is awesome. I would recommend this one as a starter.  

Overall, sun protection is for everyone and I hope these suggestions allow you to continue protecting your skin, no matter what shade it is!

Currently, a junior at Temple University and apart of the Arts and entertainment section. i love books, fashion, movies, and naps, and a hardcore reality tv fanfic. A lover of aesthetically pleasing things, pink, and all things luxurious.