This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Girls have the right to education all over the country. They have the right to expand their minds, gain new knowledge, earn higher degrees, and get a decent paid job from the hard work they put themselves through.

Girls can do anything they want to if they put their minds to it.

In several countries, people have yet to realize that girls aren’t meant to grow up to become housewives. They can fulfill positions such as President, Doctor, Journalist, Teacher, etc.

It should be up to them to decide but the only that could happen is to let them have the proper education.

Surprisingly, in total, more than 130 million girls are out of school today.

However, thanks to two strong advocators for girls education, Malala Yousafzai and former First Lady Michelle Obama, they’re doing something about this issue and bringing awareness to it.

They both have separate websites with information and actions people could do to help girls get decent and higher education.

Malala’s website is called The Malala Fund. Her mission is to let girls all over the world to complete 12 years of safe and quality education. The website talks about Malala’s story on how she got involved in advocating for women education. It discusses several different programs that were created to help females all over the world with their education, due to emergencies back home or issues going on in their families. Also, there is a section for donations.  

As for Michelle Obama, she created a website with the United States government and other federal programs called Let Girls Learn. Their mission is to make programs and help young girls gain educational opportunities to help them get engaged in making better future decisions for themselves and contributing to the society.

Both women want people to know, similar to Malala’s website how female education is important and despite the conflicts, how these girls could gain the education they deserve from the beginning. People can take action by raising awareness, collaborating with them by getting in touch with them, and donating to an important cause.

Also, statistically speaking, women’s rights to education can help them in many ways in the future and can save their lives for the better.

United Nations Educational, Scientific, and Cultural Organization conducted a report on why girls should have the rights to receive education. The report stated, that educating girls can saves can saves millions of lives. If all women had a primary education, there would be 15 percent fewer child deaths and if all women had a secondary education, child deaths would be cut in half, saving 3 million lives.

Not only that, but girls receiving education are less likely to have children at an early age and get married at an early age. Almost 60 percent fewer girls would become pregnant under 17 years in sub-Saharan Africa and South and West Asia if they all had a secondary education and if all girls had a secondary education, there would be two-thirds fewer child marriages, which means less child brides.

With these statistics, it shows girls globally that they can follow their dreams and make money but also better their lives.

Everyone has the right to live a great life but these girls really need it so why don’t we bring them that? We as people, should start raising more awareness for this issue, so we can try and bring an end to it. There are many girls not receiving an education because families don’t agree with it or want them to get married at a young age.

These types of families don’t see the potential these young girls have. There’s more things in life besides marriage but with education, girls understand they don’t have to just settle for one. They can get a good education first, then maybe get married later or vice versa.

Fortunately, there are programs that were created that could help girls be confident in pursuing an education for themselves and to help better their future.

Talk to people about this issue because with awareness, it’s one step closer to helping to save a girl’s life.

I study journalism at Temple University. I’m desi and the happiest person anyone could ever meet. I love writing, reading, and dancing.
Temple University, 2019. Magazine journalist and editor, fitness instructor, health and wellness enthusiast. Proponent of lists, Jesus, and the Oxford comma. Will do anything for an iced oatmilk latte. Follow my journey: Twitter + Instagram: @sarah_madaus