Don’t Be Shy With Your Fall Makeup Routine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

The margaritas and short shorts of summer are slowly slipping away, only to usher in the apple cider and cashmere scarves of fall. The leaves aren’t the only things that change when October rolls around: For most of us, the dropping temperature means the dropping of our hard-earned dollars—on new makeup, of course.

As we are no longer sunbathing on the shores of Atlantic City, our whole palette of colors must be readjusted. Our skin will slowly change back into its natural shade, and we – as slaves of beauty – are obliged to accommodate with a bit of facial enhancement (not that we’re complaining).

We all know that our paling skin calls for a lighter foundation, along with a bit more bronzer to make us look sun-kissed (as opposed to that less than flattering orange). A great fall bronzer that I use religiously is MAC’s Natural Mineralized Skin Finish in “Dark”. Don’t let the name deceive you – this is a universal shade that works on almost all skin tones. 

Another MAC product that I love to use on special occasions is MAC’s Mineralized Skin Finish in “Soft and Gentle.” It contains gorgeous flecks of gold that make your skin sparkle.

I will admit, I’m guilty of playing it safe and sticking to my Urban Decay Naked eyeshadow palette during the fall months. You can never go wrong with a smoky eye! But there are some top trends that are definitely worth trying this fall.

Gold accents and purple lids strewed the runways during fashion week, and contrary to popular belief, they’re easily wearable. My gold weapon of choice comes in a deliciously fall-inspired NARS palette, Ride Up to the Moon.

Along with the lovely limited edition “Metallic Gold,” the palette features frosted ginger, creamy beige, cocoa, and a shimmery dark brown eyeshadows. Simply sweep the gold onto your bottom lash line and into your corners, and you’re good as gold – no pun intended. As for the purple movement, I prefer Urban Decay’s Glide-On Eye Pencil in “Asphyxia.” A sassy, purple cat eye never hurt anyone!

When it comes to color, it is important to experiment with lips this fall as well. Play down your eyes and you have infinite possibilities. Reds, oranges, purples, pinks, bright, pastel, shiny, matte – the possibilities are endless. My go-to lip colors are NARS Satin Lip Pencil in “Luxembourg,” which is a striking red, and Kat Von D’s Painted Love Lipstick in “A-Go-Go,” a fantastically cheerful orange.

With all this new, chic makeup in your life, you won’t even remember to miss summer’s sunny allure. Bring on the turkey and the shimmery gold eye shadow, please!

Photos from: Allure, The Beauty Bean

Savannah is a graduate of Temple University, now pursuing her lifelong dream of living in NYC. She enjoys perusing second-hand books stores, staring at the work of Egon Schiele, and listening to Keith Richards shred his electric guitar.
Jennifer Nguyen is a senior journalism student at Temple. She has been a part of Her Campus Temple since its formation in 2010 and being a part of HCTU has been one of the best things she has ever done. She aspires to be a magazine writer in New York after graduation. Jennifer is passionate about learning more about the world around her and hopes to travel the world one day. As a journalist, she strives to share the stories of people whose voices need to be heard. In her spare time, she loves reading French literature, learning languages and watching Bravo reality TV shows.