The Dolan Twins Documentary: A Short Recap

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Ethan and Grayson Dolan, more famously known as The Dolan Twins, have been major social media influencers since they were in high school, starting with Vine, an app where users could post seven second videos about anything they wanted. They then turned to YouTube, a media sharing and streaming platform, where they have generated nearly 11 million subscribers. Along with these numbers, the twins have also won numerous Teen Choice Awards for their internet content. 

I began watching the Dolan Twins around 2016 from what I can fully remember, but it could have been earlier than that. I knew that watching this documentary would feel a bit personal, having followed the twins on their rise to fame throughout the years. As I began college,  I strayed away from YouTube, focusing on my academics and becoming independent, and so my interest in the twins began to diminish as well. It wasn’t until early 2019 that I heard the news and got hit with a big wave of nostalgia.   

On January 19, 2019, their father, Sean Dolan, passed away after a two-year battle with cancer. He was 50 years old. 

A little over a year later, the Dolan Twins released an hour and a half long documentary to celebrate the life of their father and to reveal how they coped with his loss. 

They begin where it all started, their hometown, Long Valley, New Jersey. It’s January 19, 2020, one year since their dad’s passing, and they start off the day by attending a therapy session. The therapist talks about grievance, and how each person displays it in different ways. A majority of people going through a tragic time in their life will often become numb at first, not knowing how to process their own emotions and in turn not displaying any at all.

Throughout the video, Ethan and Grayson experiment with ways that they can cope with their feelings and father’s death through memory and bonding exercises, talking with childhood friends/colleagues of their dad and visiting childhood spots and family.    

In response to their father’s death, they partnered with an organization that allowed them to start a foundation for a cause that is very personal to them: cancer awareness. Love From Sean was created as a result, with all proceeds going towards cancer research centers handpicked by the Dolans whom they have strong connections with. Their foundation pays tribute to their late father, while also helping those who are currently battling cancer.

When Rachel isn't obsessively drinking iced coffee by the gallon or binge watching true crime videos on YouTube, you can probably find her writing about her failed love life. She is currently a  junior (*she's ancient*) journalism major at Temple University, and is a Her Campus Temple Campus Correspondent, a Temple Student Government Social Media Manager and a 2020 Owl Team Student Coordinator.