Diversity University…Just a Theory?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

This semester, in my Public Information Campaign class, I have the opportunity to choose a behavior carried out by Temple students and create a faux-campaign that will manipulate that behavior. Without hesitation, I chose to analyze diversity and integration on and off campus-something which I’ve struggled to deal with through my college career.

After applying to different universities and finally deciding to attend Temple, I remember feeling lucky to be a part of the “Diversity University”. I meandered around campus in awe of all the different types of people I could possibly befriend. The beautiful range of people on and off campus makes the University admirable and stimulating.  However, as my Temple career zooms by, I notice that a lot of students don’t utilize diversity to their advantage (myself included).

A complaint my friends and I have always had is: while there are different groups of ethnicities, sexualities, talents, and passions, not enough integration takes place. In the Student Center we see black students sitting with black students, white students sitting with white students, Asian students with Asian students….and well, you get the point. There is even the term “HBTU”- a play on the acronym HBCU (Historically Black College/University). Yes, don’t get me wrong, finding friends that you are comfortable with and can relate to is nothing but fun. But, I can’t help to think we are only limiting ourselves by doing so. When I go out on the weekends I am either at a “white party” or a “black party”…or maybe even a “brown party”. Yes! Finally, a diverse party, I think to myself when I finally find an environment where different people are in the same place and communicate with one another.

A moment I will always remember took place while sitting in my friend’s car about to go into a party. My friend in the backseat asked, “Is this a ‘white party’ or a ‘black party’?” I rolled my eyes; annoyed that this was even a question, and replied, “Ughh, no such thing.” We continued to go back and forth for a bit until we made our way into the house. I walked around to get a feel for the party and noticed there were mostly white students. I mean, I guess this is a “white party”, I thought to myself. I could tell by the look on my friends’ faces they were thinking the same thing too. It bothered me that this was a reoccurring pattern, and being bi-racial only makes my experience more confusing. I didn’t and still don’t want to accept the idea that Temple is only diverse in theory.

A lot of students hold the mindset “get in where you fit in”. While I understand and acknowledge this, I don’t want to live that way. I don’t think anybody should limit himself or herself with that idea. During classes we get a glimpse of how diversity can change who we are. We talk to others outside of our friend groups, hear what they have to offer, and throw out our own perspectives as well. We learn, we grow, and we evolve by hearing the different values and opinions a person maintains.

I have always strived to hold friendships with all types of people because it adds to who I am. Every single person has something to offer. It is hard because I find my thoughts running rampant with judgments and stereotypes constantly, but I make sure to catch myself in the act. Freeing myself from one scope of people allows me to learn about others and myself simultaneously.  To put it simply, diversity is an irreplaceable resource-there is absolutely nothing like it. I urge everyone apart of the Temple community to open themselves up to the different possibilities no matter what size, shade or sexuality. 

Kaitlin is an alumna of Temple University where she graduated with a B.A. in Journalism and a minor in Political Science. At Temple, she served as Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Temple and was a founding member and former Public Relations Vice President for the Iota Chi chapter of Alpha Xi Delta.  She currently serves Her Campus Media as a Region Leader and Chapter Advisor and was formally a Feature Writer for Fashion, Beauty and Health.