Demi Lovato’s New Album ‘Tell Me You Love Me’ Is Her Most Authentic Release Yet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Demi Lovato released her highly-anticipated sixth studio album, Tell Me You Love Me, on Friday, September 29th, 2017.

Prior to the album’s release, Lovato gave fans a taste of what to expect from her new music with the brutally honest banger, “Sorry Not Sorry,” the soulful track and title of her album, “Tell Me You Love Me,” the emotional hit, “You Don’t Do It for Me Anymore,” and the fun, sexual song, “Sexy Dirty Love.” Just from hearing these first few tracks, fans could immediately tell the popstar wasn’t holding anything back on this new album.

While the album has only been out for a short time, Tell Me You Love Me is already considered to be the 26-year-old singer’s most honest album to date, with songs about Lovato’s past relationships, personal struggles, and her deepest, most inner thoughts.

“Sorry Not Sorry,” the most popular single (so far) from Lovato’s new album, sets the tone for the rest of Tell Me You Love Me. Rather than trying to hide the truth about how she feels and how she has dealt with personal issues, Lovato lays it all out there for both fans and critics to hear.

As we dive into the rest of the album, Lovato calls out her past objects of affection in songs like “Daddy Issues,” where she sings about a lover who doesn’t want to commit despite Lovato’s strong feelings for him, and “Games,” where the singer discusses a lover who is constantly playing with her emotions.

The former Disney star also reveals a more sexual side in songs like “Concentrate,” and “Sexy Dirty Love.” Each of these songs tells the story of a very passionate, intimate romance.

In other songs, such as “Ruin the Friendship,” and “Only Forever,” Lovato sings about someone who she wants to be with as more than a friend. These songs are raw and honest because Lovato exposes her true feelings about willing to wait for that special someone no matter how long it takes.

When fans heard these two songs, they immediately assumed they were about Lovato’s longtime friend, Nick Jonas. “Only Forever” had fans thinking this because in the opening line of the song, Lovato sings, “I’ve been thinking ’bout the future; and I’ve been thinking ’bout the now.” This relates to the two friends because Lovato and Jonas went on a tour together called, “The Future Now Tour.”

“Ruin the Friendship” also reveals clues about who the song is about because the first letters in the line, “No I can’t keep denying every minute I think of you,” spells “NICKDEMI,” which can’t be a coincidence.

Despite her failures in love, Lovato ends the album with a sign of hope for herself and her listeners. The closing song, “Hitchhiker,” reveals that she wants to fall hard and fast and that she won’t let her past loves determine her future.

If one thing is for sure, Lovato’s insane vocals are highlighted throughout the entirety of the album. Lovato can switch from soulful, church-like anthems like “Tell Me You Love Me,” to raspy, sensual songs like “Concentrate,” and “Hitchhiker,” to high-pitched bangers such as “Sorry Not Sorry,” and “Sexy Dirty Love.”

It seems as if this childhood star has found herself through her music. Lovato’s new album is fun and flirty, yet authentic and brave. Tell Me You Love Me is a way for fans to truly connect to the popstar through some of her realist music yet.

Lisa Cunningham is currently a sophomore Journalism major at Temple University. When she is not listening to music, living it up at a concert or hanging with friends, Cunningham loves to write about all things relate to pop culture!