This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

When life feels out of grasp, grab control back by doing these little habits each day to be living your most positive, best life.

Most of the day is typically filled with things you have to do with no exception, like work or school for example. It’s easy to make those things your whole life and forget to nurture yourself. While everyone has a different definition of what a happy life is to them, doing these little things each morning and evening will help you center yourself and allow you to flourish in your best life. 

Morning:

Make your bed

Once your alarm rings and you spring out of bed (don’t mindlessly scroll on your phone that early), make your bed! It’s the first thing you should do in the morning to set the tone for the day. Great, you accomplished one thing already for the day! 

Affirmations & Gratitude

Write down a few “I am” affirmations. For example, “I am smart”, and “I am worthy.” After you write them down, repeat each out loud to manifest it into the universe. Also, take the time to think about at least five things you’re grateful for each morning. Acknowledging all the good you have in your life and practicing gratitude will leave you feeling uplifted.

Drink water

Hydrate yourself first thing in the morning! Keep a full water bottle next to your bed. You’re dehydrated in the morning… you just went 7-8 hours without any water! Also, this serves as your daily reminder to always drink water. 

Five-minute stretch 

Wake your body up in the morning by thanking it for all it does for you. Do some stretches on the floor to ground yourself. Even add in a five-minute meditation to relax you before a long day. This is a great way to connect the body and mind.

Evening:

Nourishing meal

After a full day, nothing is better than treating yourself to a healthy, nourishing meal. Sit down and relax, put on a show, or catch up with your roommates. Feed your body with the proper nutrients before winding down. 

Skin care session 

Start unwinding by putting on your favorite playlist, lighting a candle, removing your makeup. There’s no better feeling than washing off the day. Throw on a face mask and chill for a bit with a book, and don’t forget to load on your moisturizer after. Maybe even an eyelash serum and a lip mask too!

Check in with family and friends

After a long day of being so focused on mundane school work and being on your A game at your job, remember your life doesn’t revolve around school and work! Don’t forget to check in with your family and friends. Your social life is just as important. Life is a lot more fun with family and friends.

Journal

Reflect on your day. What did you learn about yourself? What were some positive things that happened? Having some dialogue with yourself will provide the opportunity for positive self-talk and a space to understand your thoughts from the day. Doing so will help you grasp and appreciate yourself, as self growth is the goal. 

Practicing self love is so important for a stable, grounded, healthy life. When life feels stressful and overwhelming, it’s easy to get out of touch with yourself. Gain control back into your life by practicing these daily to-do’s, and you’ll feel your happiest, best life come right back. Be selfish… allow time in your day for yourself!

Hi! My name is Madeline, I'm a sophomore and I'm a Media Studies and Production Major. I'm from South Jersey and I spent most of the summer down the shore. I am either in complete beach mode or complete city mode. I see myself living in the city at one point of my life and would also love to have a beach house of my own when I’m older. My surroundings and atmosphere that I’m in really reflect my mood and day to day life. I love to hangout with friends, read, do yoga, and I just recently learned how to surf and got into running! :)