This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Personally, I struggle with finding cruelty free cosmetics, beauty products, hair, and skin care products for a day-to-day basis, and I have been trying to transition into using only cruelty free products over the past few years.  I have always loved animals and as I got older it was so disappointing to find out that so many large and popular companies, that I used on the regular, test their products or their ingredients of their products on animals. They keep these animals under disgusting, and frankly, inhumane conditions to cheapen their own cost of production and turn a bigger profit.  Additionally it’s pretty sad to see that the consumer isn’t very knowledgeable about the companies they’re buying from. 

Big name parent companies like Johnson & Johnson (“a family company”) and Unilever are notoriously not cruelty free but are often able to get away with this because of their ownership of numerous popular brands such as Neutrogena, Aveeno, Benadryl, and Dove, Vaseline, and Suave. I understand that most people aren’t able to buy all or even most of their products from cruelty free companies for a variety of reasons, whether its because you can’t find anything in your price range, you’re so used to what you’ve already been using, or even because it’s a lot of work sifting through the countless number of brands offered.  To make the whole process easier, listed below are some great choices of cruelty free products from skin care, to hair care, to cosmetics, and anything else you may need on a daily basis: a complete rundown of cruelty free products, head to toe.

Shampoo

Gone are the days when you could buy a half gallon of Suave “Ocean Breeze” for like three dollars, but there are actually a few fairly affordable options in this category, one of which being the brand Maui Moisture!  This is a great brand and is my favorite personally because it is the cheapest hair care brand that is both cruelty free and free of sulfates (basically harsh detergents that can really strip your hair of its necessary natural oils).  I really like this shampoo and conditioner because it leaves my hair really soft and, as the name would suggest, is very moisturizing, while still staying under ten dollars a bottle!  If you’re willing to splurge a couple extra dollars per bottle, you may also want to check out the brand Shea Moisture which averages about eleven dollars a bottle and comes in a variety of scents and additionally has products such as cowash and stylers.  Try to stay away from brands such as “Love Beauty and Planet” that claim to be cruelty free, but have parent companies that aren’t (you’re still putting money into the pocket of brands that test on animals). 

Body Wash

Another hard to find product is body wash/soap.  I always had a hard time giving up my insane collection of Bath and Body Works soaps, but instead I found better brands who I knew had a message I could get behind. Instead, I suggest you try a brand like Alba Botanica, that has amazing fruity body washes that range in price from about ten to fifteen dollars (depending on the size).  Everything from this brand smells are amazing and leaves my skin feeling soft.  This brand also partners with CARE, a humanitarian aid organization that collects donations to provide education to women in third world countries.  Knowing that I am not only supporting a cruelty free company, but one that donates money to help strengthen education in poor countries makes me feel better about purchasing it.  A slightly more affordable brand is Method, which yes, is also a dish soap brand.  I have found that, just like Alba Botanica, Method has some really nice, light scents and averages around six dollars a bottle.

Deodorant 

I am the kind of person who needs that extra strength deodorant that comes in those “physician recommended” boxes and I didn’t think I would ever be able to use anything less than that, but one of my favorite deodorants I use now is a brand called Tom’s.  Now Tom’s may not be enough for some people, I have to admit, because it does stop my unbearable stench but unfortunately it doesn’t keep me from sweating as much as something like Old Spice antiperspirant.  I really like it though because it uses mostly natural ingredients and and comes in really light scents, like lavender or tea tree that aren’t so overwhelming.  I also like the brand Schmidt’s which has the same concepts in mind with using natural ingredients, and additionally the brand focuses on sustainability with their manufacturing process and sources their materials responsibly.

Toothpaste

When it comes to toothpaste, I thought I would never be able to find a brand that is cruelty free, but Tom’s comes in to save the day again! I honestly have no clue why there are so little toothpaste brands that can described as cruelty free, but oh well, maybe Colgate will catch up some day. Tom’s is again great because it focuses on using natural ingredients in all of its products.  Don’t worry though, it still has ingredients like flouride to keep your teeth healthy!

Lotion

I would have to say that out of all the items listed, lotion is the one thing that I’m willing to spend the most money on, because my skin is like the Sahara on crack.  I am super crusty myself, but there are quite a few brands that still help my skin feel nourished without breaking the bank.  One of them being again Alba Botanica.  This brand is one that also has a lot to offer, and one that I feel has the most bang for its buck.  My last bottle of mango lotion from Alba Botanica lasted me what felt like months, and I am perpetually applying lotion to my body.  This brand has a really wholesome message, and a great variety of products.  Another brand that’s great is O’Keeffe’s (Working Hands): I get really dry and cracked hands especially in the winter, and O’Keeffe’s really does work miracles.  It works really quickly and has specialized lotions for both hands and feet.

Makeup

There are plenty of affordable makeup brands that can also claim cruelty free status and this seems to be a category that’s most widely known in today’s society.  Great makeup choices include E.l.f. Cosmetics, Wet & Wild Cosmetics, Physicians Formula, Milani, Pixi, among many others.  There is really no reason to shop any other brand when any one of these brands alone can provide you with everyday essentials like mascara and lip balm, and also full glam products like glitter and eyeshadow.

Nail Polish

I don’t use nail polish a lot, so when I do I want it to be special and use it for a nice occasion.  Two of my favorite cruelty free, quality nail polishes include Pacifica and Ella & Mila.  Both of these brands are not only cruelty free but also 7-free, which means they are free of the top seven most common harsh chemicals found in nail polish.  Both brands have a gigantic shade range including top and base coats.

To me finding cruelty free products used to take priority over finding products I actually liked, which does NOT have to be the case for you! After much trial and error I’ve come to find that I can still get the results I want from good quality products without compromising on the ethical treatment of animals, or spending money I don’t have.  When in doubt, just make sure to read the label on the back of a product and if it doesn’t explicitly say “cruelty free,” don’t buy it.  Honestly, converting to using almost all cruelty free products has made me a more conscious and responsible consumer and has made me think about everything that goes onto our bodies on a daily basis.  If that’s not enough of a reason to take the plunge, just think about all the little animals you are basically saving from not giving money to the people that perpetuate animal testing. If they could thank you themselves they would.

Sydney Brown

Temple '22

I am a freshman at Temple University, Philadelphia.