The Lalaboots And Leaves
The Lalaboots And Leaves
Her Campus Media
Style > Fashion

Cowgirl Boots: More Than A Trend, It’s A Lifestyle 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Cowboy boots are a national symbol of the Old West. When we think of a cowboy, we think of the whole package: boots, hat, maybe a bandana, and of course, leather everywhere. But recently, I’ve been seeing one specific item I love: cowgirl boots. 

Summer 2022 was ruled by cowgirl boots, and not only are these boots extremely cute, but they’re also versatile. It was hard to go on Instagram without seeing an outfit complemented by these trendy boots, but what is it about them that’s made them so popular? And what are you waiting for? Get a pair.  

Although they seemed to be everywhere in the summer, cowgirl boots don’t need to be put away in the winter. Like any other winter boot, when paired with the right pair of socks, cowgirl boots can keep your feet warm and cozy, and they do so with style. 

In contrast to cowboy boots, cowgirl boots are known for being made of synthetic leather rather than real leather, which I personally prefer. They also tend to have fun colors and different heel heights, so there are plenty of options to choose from.  

Has my excitement made you consider getting a pair? If it did, then you might want to know where to start.  

Getting your first pair 

When getting cowboy or cowgirl boots for the first time, there are a few things to consider:  

Type of sole  

According to an article published on bellatory.com, different soles cater to different needs. If you are doing lots of walking, then a synthetic sole might be a good option, since leather soles tend to be more slippery and don’t last as long.  

Height  

Choosing the boot’s height could be a matter of convenience or preference. You have to ask yourself how much of your leg you want covered. Cowboy and cowgirl boots can go as high as the knee and as low as the ankle. 

Material 

Do you want to wear real leather, or would you prefer to keep it synthetic? Cowboy and cowgirl boots come in a variety of animal skin, but also in synthetic skin for those who would prefer to not wear real leather. 

The Heel 

There are multiple heel styles. Some are higher than others and they have different uses. For example, riding heels are 2 inches tall since they are designed to hook into the stirrup of the saddle. But, if your main reason to get cowgirl books is not to ride a horse, you will probably take some freedom when choosing the type of heel.  

How to Style Them for the Upcoming Winter 

As I mentioned, cowgirl boots seemed to be everywhere over the summer, but there are plenty of ways to style them now that winter is just around the corner. These are some of my favorites:  

Mini skirt and tights combo 

What better way to receive some cold weather than with a cute black skirt, some tights, and a pair of tall cowgirl boots? The boots add a warm midwestern look to any plain outfit and depending on the color, they can even bring vibrance to it. 

Jeans  

Throw on your favorite sweater and your favorite pair of jeans and spark it up with your cowgirl boots. I’m sure I’m not the only one who thinks that cowgirl boots and jeans are simply made for each other.  

Oversized sweater or dress  

Another extremely cute way to pair cowgirl boots is with a cozy oversized sweater or a cozy dress. I am a strong believer that the midwestern look is taken to a different level once paired with sweaters and knit pieces.  

Overall, both cowboy and cowgirl boots are extremely stylish. Their variety offers many options to those who want to wear them. Although you might want to think about which style is better for you before buying a pair, the thinking will be worth it once you have an outstanding pair of shoes to combine with almost anything in your closet.  

Rosamelia is a journalism student at Temple University. Her interests include reading, fashion, and social justice. When she's not writing for Her Campus, you can find her reviewing books on her bookstagram: @amelias_biblioteca.