This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Attention endless entertainment lovers, this one might be for you!

Escapism is a mental diversion you create to distract yourself from reality, and my preferred type is entertainment escapism. If you asked any of my friends or even professors (since I incorporate it into most of my assignments), you’d know that I am the one who is up-to-date on celebrity, music, and influencer news, and I’m always watching a new TV show on the side. I could probably give myself the title of ‘Entertainment Encyclopedia’ at this point.  

As a public relations student hoping to pursue a career in entertainment PR, I justify parts of my celebrity news consumption as education, and other parts as de-stressing from classes, both of which are true. My news roundups and imagination, however, recently started to gradually take up more and more of my time and thoughts. I’d escape from my life and live through something else: the world of a TV show, or through keeping up with influencers or artists. 

At the time, I thought it was harmless because I didn’t have too much going on in my life with my online semesters at home. I could create a place where life was exciting and everything was perfect. 

Then, my bubble burst. I took a step back and realized that I was living through other people and things. I wasn’t seeing what was in front of me. I had the opportunity to text or call my friends, but I didn’t take it. I bounced between my classes, meetings, and assignments and this world I created. I couldn’t break out of the cycle. How could I be isolated from my life, but so in tune with other people’s? And at that, the lives of people that I didn’t know?

I needed to start living my own life. 

I’m not saying that consuming entertainment is a bad thing. We all definitely needed some entertainment escapism this past year, and emerging yourself into the world of a show and keeping up with the actors online is nothing to critique. The point I am making is that there are times when you can get so wrapped up in the shows, music, and refreshing of Deuxmoi on Instagram, to a point where it’s detrimental. It doesn’t feel like a hobby anymore.

That’s where I am. But, I’m working on it, and I’m here to help you out if you’re facing the same thing. Here’s what has been going well for me: 

1. Write out how you’re feeling — everything!

I’m a huge advocate of journaling, even if it’s not consistent and only at times when you have the urge to pepper the pages with your thoughts.

1. Segment your social media time.

This is a general tip, but applies especially to an entertainment escapist like myself. I suggest making a side account to follow your favorite update accounts, and only being logged into that account on your phone. That way, when you’re at your laptop doing work and leaving your phone in another room, you can’t lose yourself in the minute-by-minute Tik Tok Room updates. 

1. Talk to your friends about your favorite entertainment.

A TV show or new song is a tried and true basis for connecting with people. Talking about an episode you just saw with friends can create social interaction, while also giving you the outlet to chat about what you’ve been into lately. Plus, you might get to hear a new perspective on it!

I acknowledge that it can be really hard and uncomfortable to take that step back and try to focus more on yourself; I’m still working on it myself. I hope this helps you face some of the scariness that comes with stepping out of an entertainment escapism world.

Caitlin is a junior PR major with a love for everything music. When she's not writing, you can find her binging a new TV show, listening to music, or hanging out with her cat Louise!