This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

I went to see Lil Nas X on tour and here are my thoughts. 

Right now, in music news, many of us are probably just fresh off seeing all the hype surrounding Harry Styles’s recently finished residency at Madison Square Garden. While this has taken over in music, many artists are embarking on tours now that Covid regulations are allowing them to do so. Right now, rapper Lil Nas X is completing his Long Live Montero tour. On Thursday, September 22nd, he performed in Philadelphia at The Met

This performance was unlike one I had ever seen before. For starters, audience members were given a playbill at the entrance of the venue. It contained a note from the “Call Me by Your Name” singer, a performance list, background information about his backup dancers, and lots of pictures of Lil Nas X himself. Unlike most concerts, this show was designed as a musical. The show consisted of three acts, each consisting of five songs. 

What also made this show stand out was the use of animation and stage design. Now, I’m not as well-versed in concerts and live performances as some people I know, but this was easily the best stage of any show I had been to. This wasn’t just a concert; it was an experience. Lil Nas X incorporated the entire aesthetic and vibe of this album and era onto the set. The stage design used color, animation, and voice beautifully. I think this made the performance even more interesting to watch. Instead of this focus being on the artists, there were other places to direct your attention. To me, this makes the performance enjoyable for all. If you’re in a seat that might not have a full view of the stage, you would still get to watch something on stage. 

Another part of this show that I loved was the backup dancers. I don’t think I’ve ever been to a show that used backup performers. I think this was a great way to hype up the crowd and fit perfectly into this kind of show. Yes, the music was still the focus but there was more to it than singing. There was dancing, videos, and immersion. Lots of artists stay away from using technology in their set design because it feels too modern, but I think with thought and care this can be a great addition to a concert. 

Overall, this was a great show. The only criticism that I had is that I wish he would have performed more songs off his album. Because there were lots of collaborations, it would have been difficult to manage this, but I think there could have been a way to include them. Despite this, I think this was a great first tour and I think it is just a glimpse of what we are going to see from Lil Nas X in the future. 

Jeanne Burge

Temple '24

Jeanne is a sophomore Journalism major at Temple University. She is from Wallingford, PA.