Skin Treatments Worth Price Tag Feature Hero
Megan Charles / Her Campus Media
Wellness

A Comprehensive Guide To Practicing Self Love

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Self-love is a phrase that has multiple meanings to thousands of different people. Some might associate it with living your happiest life through purpose– while others might see it as reframing all negative thoughts to positive. For the longest time, I thought that self-love was something you were just born with — the ability to be effortlessly confident while remaining true to yourself. As it turns out however, I couldn’t be more wrong. Self-love is truly a practice, one that comes with time and dedication. 

So, if you would like to learn more about ways to attain self-love, then scroll down!

Start a journal

As cliche as it sounds, journaling is one of the most attainable ways to practice self-care/love. Although, before I truly indulged in journaling daily, I found myself so swept up in the idealistic world of social media (mainly, Pinterest) that I was too intimidated to begin. However, something that pushed me beyond my fear were these reminders:

Your journal does not have to look like those on Pinterest

You do not have to be a writer to start a journal

Your idea of a journal does not have to be the same as everyone else’s

While I was too busy holding excessive standards for myself, I was distracted from the reasons that I wanted to start a journal in the first place. Journaling makes you aware of your emotions in a way that is so distinct, that its hard to ignore. When you have a space to harbor all of your thoughts and emotions, it’s almost like you can finally exhale after a long day instead of containing all of this toxic, bottled up emotion. And when you ignore the part of you that is questioning the whole process, you will find yourself unexpectedly with a sense of peace that you might not have had before the whole process. 

Surround yourself with the right people

This one might seem like a given, but truth be told, the people who you surround yourself with will help shape you into the person you want to be. Take a look at who you have been surrounding yourself with — Do they truly bring out the best in you? Are they a true, valuable friend? Although sometimes this might seem hard, if you have a friend who is toxic or might not be the best influence on you, it might be in yours (and their) best interest to talk about things that have been lacking in your relationship!

Practice having a different outlook on situations

As vague as it may seem, hear me out on this one. Think about the last time something didn’t go your way, how did you react? Were you bitter for the remainder of the day? Or did you hold resentment towards the situation? While all of this might seem like a typical part of day to day life— it doesn’t have to be. The next time something happens that isn’t ideal, think about what you already have. Even though you might have escalated feelings at the time you find out something bad, it’s worth it to rethink the situation before your mood digresses and it turns into a habit you can’t control. 

Pamper yourself 

While pampering might seem like more of a luxury than an actual method to practice, it is vital as it pertains to self-care. Both fall hand-in-hand— although self-care is related often to the feeling of being renewed. A simple meaning behind self-care is giving yourself the time and space to feel at peace with yourself by doing what makes you feel most relaxed and rejuvenated. I find that some perfect ways to pamper are through the purchase of facemasks, giving yourself a manicure/pedicure, or by trying yoga or meditation. While by no means is this a necessity for practicing self-love, it does give you time to recenter yourself and find a relaxing headspace to enjoy time spent doing something different from the day-to-day norms.

I hope that some of these methods have resonated with you and that you have learned a little more about how to practice self-love!

Lauren is a sophomore journalism major at Temple University.
Delaney Mills is a Senior at Temple University majoring in Communication Studies. She's has a love for fashion and Harry Styles. She can usually be found at the Bagel Hut on campus or in her bed watching New Girl. Follow her on Instagram @duhlaneyyy!!