Chic for Cheap: The Best Makeup for Under $15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

As much as we wish we could paint our faces into beautiful masterpieces without spending a fortune – good quality artwork is never cheap. And unfortunately, neither is good quality make-up for our precious palettes.

It’s so important to throw out the old and constantly change products in order to prevent break-outs, infections, wrinkles, etc., but who can afford to restock items at Sephora and Mac all the time? $30 for one beautiful lipstick that I’ll end up losing in a random public bathroom anyway? We all know that’s the absolute worst.

It’s okay to spoil yourself every now and then, but remember, drugstore makeup can help you look sexy for cheap! You can still splurge on that $50 top-quality bronzer while budgeting a few inexpensive, yet good-quality mascara’s from Rite Aid. Here are a few great makeup products for under $15:

Jane Babian, senior journalism major at Temple, is a lipstick and lash connoisseur. With an extensive make-up collection ranging from shoeboxes full of nail polishes to every shade of red lipstick on her bathroom shelf, Babian loves her Sephora and Mac collection, but frequents drug stores to budget wisely.

Eyeshadow palettes seem like they can be some of the most overpriced items, especially when you drop and crack them into a million little pieces. Babian recommended Maybelline’s “The Nudes Palette” from Walmart or Target for only $9.99.

“A lot of people call it the drugstore version of Urban Decay’s Naked Palette and I see nothing negative in that statement,” Babian said. “It’s subtle enough for daywear but you can make it bold enough for the evenings, some colors are subtle and matte while others have a bit of a sparkle, so it’s a classic palette for those who don’t need overwhelming colors.”

When it comes to making the eyes pop, mascara is essential, but can also cost a fortune because they need to be changed so often. Maybelline has great mascara products that are never over $10. A classic favorite is Maybelline’s “Great Lash Blackest Black” for only $5.00 at Target and I recommend the curved brush for best results.

Babian said she prefers Maybelline’s “The Falsies Push-Up Drama Mascara” for only $7.49 at Target. She said it requires only a few simple sweeps to volumize her lashes, so it’s sustainable and lasts forever. “It thickens, lengthens, curls and volumizes to create a bold and dramatic lash and as long as you’re careful not to use too much, then your lashes won’t get clumpy!”

After all the contouring, lash thickening, and blending, the final touches can sometimes be the most important. For someone who owns almost every shade of lipstick ever made, Babian said it’s what truly completes her look.

“That’s the one item i’ll splurge on because I love playing with different colors and matching them with what I’m wearing,” she said.

It can be hard to find inexpensive, good-quality lipstick that actually lasts for more than ten minutes but there are some options. One of my favorites is the NYX Butter Lipstick for only $5.99 at Target or $6.00 on the NYX website. I have the shades Mary Jane, similar to a dark red, and Moonlit Night, which is like a deep mauve.

Babian, who doesn’t leave the house without a lip shade to match her day, is what I consider a true lipstick expert. She recommended “LA Splash StudioShine (Waterproof) Lip Lustre,” which you can find on the LA Cosmetics website for $14.

“I love this brand so much I bought five different shades – it covers so well and there’s no need for a second or third coat,” she said. “It’s totally waterproof so it only comes off with oil-based cleansers but it’s great for a late night out or as all-day wear.”

Overall, Target seems to have the best steals, but you can find most of these items at any drugstore, so remember not to overpay for mall prices and you can easily budget your sexiness!

Alexa Zizzi

Temple '17

Alexa currently serves as a Chapter Advisor for Her Campus Media. She is a journalism graduate from Temple University with a love for writing and passion for adventure. She enjoys dancing, traveling, and laying on the beach rather than taking long walks on it. Her work has been published in Her Campus Temple, Philadelphia Magazine, The Temple News, Fourteenth Street Magazine, Philadelphia Neighborhoods and The Odyssey Online.
Logan is a junior journalism major, and serves as Campus Correspondent.  She is also the proud president of Delta Phi Epsilon, Delta Nu, her sorority. Logan is typically super busy, but still dedicates hours to reading a Cosmo from front to back...twice. Logan loves all things social media, especially following puppy accounts on Instagram. Her dream is to break into the magazine industry and help empower other women to pursue their dreams, whatever that may be.