matteo catanese PI8Hk 3ZcCU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
matteo catanese PI8Hk 3ZcCU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

In today’s political climate, things are very tense — to say the least. From the government shutdown to exposing the deception within Trump’s cabinet, there’s a lot of information being brought to the public’s attention. One group in particular seems to be raising more awareness on political issues and that’s our celebrities: Actors, actresses, singers, comedians, the list goes on. It’s almost as if everyone has shared their political stance. These popular stars are beginning to use their respective stages as a soapbox of sorts, voicing their opinions on American politics. In turn, a question has been circulating among the general public: Is it right for these celebrities to intermingle their political views with their influence on fans?

Taking a look at Cardi B and Tomi Lahren, for example, we have a popular rapper and a conservative political commentator both expressing views on the government shutdown. Tomi tried to discredit Cardi’s argument because she is a rapper and has no background in politics whatsoever. Though some people agreed with Lahren, and said Cardi needs to “stay in her lane,” many commended the star for using her platform to speak out against the issues the shutdown has caused. Cardi made it clear she is no expert, yet simply wishes that people pay attention to those who are suffering without pay.

There are plenty of similar cases in which celebrities speak out against actions of government officials or certain federal policies and it’s important these figures keep doing so. Yes, famous figures need to keep in mind of how they word any opinion – as their influence will have an affect on the actions of their fans  but there is a difference between simply stating a viewpoint to start discussion or raise awareness and inciting hateful or violent responses. People are entitled to their views and opinion, regardless of wealth or notoriety. It is up to these entertainment celebrities to decide how important an issue is to them personally, political or otherwise, and if they are willing to face any criticism because of it.

If celebrities were to manipulate fans in order to provoke abusive or unjust action in the name of an issue, that is where the line must be drawn. Otherwise, famous individuals should be free to express any political opinion they may have as any other citizen. Those who are well-known are held to a higher expectation while being in public’s eye, but that should not mean a restriction of free speech. Certain subjects may affect the average person just as much as it affects a celebrity and they both are entitled to appropriately voice their concerns respectively.

I am junior at Georgia State University, majoring in Journalism with a concentration in Public Relations and a minoring in Marketing. I hold executive positions in two organizations on campus: Director of Public Relations for EmpowHER and Vice President of Her Campus Georgia State Chapter Outside of school, I am Director of Public Relations/Marketing of AREA, Atlanta's Resource for Entertainment and Arts; along with being a part of the professional performing ensemble at AREA. In my free time, I write for my lifestyle blog, As Told By Tay.