This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

If you’ve ever wanted to spend Halloween with Aaron Carter, you’re about to get your chance. The “I Want Candy” singer will be performing at District N9ne on October 31st and he is more than ready to bring his party to Philly. I got a chance to talk to Aaron about what he’s been up to lately and spoiler alert: he’s working harder than ever!

How does it feel to finally have a new single coming out?

AC: My new song is called “Ooh Wee,” and yeah it’s been a long timed since I’ve had a single out. But it’s great. I have a really great team of people behind me now…. like very powerful people in the industry who are investing in me and believing in me. I’m touring all over the place, so now it’s about promoting my new music.

Are you working on a music video for the song?

AC: Yeah, the video is done! I’ve done the music video and everything. We’re not messing around…I’m doing it right. I’m not going to release a song without a music video, like all of that stuff has to coincide with each other, and it has to be with the right people, and it is.

Do you think your new music is different or similar from your older music?

AC: The cool thing about all my music that I’ve done before is that I’ve always been well diversified. I’ve always been able to do some pop music here, do a little bit of pop rock, a ballad and some urban stuff. So, if you listen to my albums back then you’ll hear that and it’s a good way to transcend into being an adult and still be fun and have a good time. That’s what it’s about with music. I want to take my music to the fans and be able to sing it to them and make it about them. That’s pretty much what its about. You know it’s about performing for them, and singing to my fans and getting them to have a good time and have a connection with the music. Just like when people used to come to my shows back in the day and when they used to listen to my albums, you know? That’s basically what its all about, growing up and starting to get back into the music again. You know, I didn’t want to leave the music industry, but because of a series of unfortunate events, I had to be absent. I actually think that’s a good thing because I was able to grow into the man that I am today. I know what I want in life and I know what I look for in a girl.

How much input do you have in your work?

AC: Everything that you guys see me doing is facilitated by yours truly. I’m the artist…. I’m not just somebody who’s signed to a record label that’s going out there and doing stuff everyone tells me to do. I’m the one putting all of this together. I mean in the last three years, I single handedly put together over 800 shows. That’s like serious work and I’m really proud of myself because I’ve turned into a young businessman as well. I’m just blessed to be able to do what I love. It’s been pretty interesting. I have so much more freedom now.

You’ve done such a great job of growing and transitioning with your fans. How has that process been for you?

AC: Thank you so much! I really appreciate that. Coming back into the industry, it’s like what are people going to think and are they going to expect 12-year-old Aaron… that just can’t be the case anymore. I appreciate people coming to my shows for nostalgic reasons, but people have to stop looking at me to be that guy that takes them to their past and makes them feel 12-years-old again. I’m living my life as an adult and I’m having a great time out on tour. We party all the time and we’re just having a blast

You just started “The Wonderful World” tour. What can people expect to see at a show?

AC: Well, they’ll see me up there doing a lot of choreography. I have two new female dancers, who are very, very talented. It’s just a high energy show. I mean, a lot of dance moves going on, a lot of crazy stuff going on. I do some ballads, I do some throwbacks and then it’s mostly focused on the new music.

How do you go about mixing up old songs versus new songs for performances?

AC: Well, the thing is I don’t want to do too much of the old stuff right now until I start getting bigger venues. The more that the fans come to see me, the bigger the shows I’ll start to do and then I’ll be able to incorporate more stuff from the past. But right now, it’s more about the new music.

What is your favorite song to perform live?

AC: I would say my new song, “Recovery.” It just has a lot of significant meaning to all the things that I’ve endured in my life and it’s a great way to express myself through my music.

How does it feel when people start to sing along to your new songs at shows?

AC: It’s awesome, to be honest with you. I never expected all of this to start happening again… people believing in me like they do. I’m in a state of shock.

You’re very interactive with your fans. How do you think that affects your relationship with them?

AC: I think that the reason why my relationship with my fans is so solid is because a lot of my fans know the struggle that I’ve been through. They’ve seen the years that I’ve put into trying to get back out there to them. I think my fans can really relate to me in that regard and they know that they can count on me. People can direct message me on Instagram, Facebook, or Twitter and I’ll respond to them. I make that a duty in my life… to be there for people.

How have you changed over the years and what do you want people to know about you now?

AC: People need to start seeing what I’m doing with the new music, they need to understand who I am as an artist today because I’m not going to change. I’m not going to start acting 12-years-old again just to make people happy because I’m 26-years-old, you know? I don’t have a façade; I am who I am. Now as an adult, I have control over my life, and I’m going to be happy. I have to focus on what makes me happy and that is people believing in me and seeing that I am talented. I did over 500 performances off-Broadway and you can’t do that if you aren’t good at what you do. Then a week after that ended, I went on tour and did another 200 shows. Now I’m doing another 100 shows coming up. So, I’m going to break 1,000 shows in less than five years and that’s crazy. I’m a performer and an entertainer, and I love what I do. I’m not going to stop.

The Philly show is on Halloween…Do you have any plans to dress up?

AC: I don’t know yet… um maybe I’ll dress up as like Justin Bieber or something. Make sure you tell everybody to come in costume!

For tickets and VIP upgrades to Aaron’s shows, visit his website.

Facebook: Facebook.com/AaronCarterMusic

Twitter/Instagram: @AaronCarter

Shauna is a senior journalism major at Temple. She loves keeping up to date with pop culture, and hopes to get into the entertainment news field after graduation. Her other interests include coffee, shopping, binge watching Sex and the City, going to concerts, and everything Britney Spears.
Kaitlin is an alumna of Temple University where she graduated with a B.A. in Journalism and a minor in Political Science. At Temple, she served as Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Temple and was a founding member and former Public Relations Vice President for the Iota Chi chapter of Alpha Xi Delta.  She currently serves Her Campus Media as a Region Leader and Chapter Advisor and was formally a Feature Writer for Fashion, Beauty and Health.