Campus Celebrity: Mary Salisbury

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

When it comes to navigating college and a healthy lifestyle, Mary Salisbury has found the perfect balance. Former HCTU Health and Fitness Editor, Salisbury is not only a leader on campus but also loves exploring new restaurants and shops in Philadelphia.

Name: Mary Salisbury

HCTU Position: Secretary

Year: Junior

What was your favorite experience this summer? This summer I was interning for the Be Well Philly section at Philadelphia magazine. It was awesome because I had the opportunity to write tons of short articles and pitch my own ideas to my editor. I helped set up at events and I felt like I really got a feel of what working at a magazine would be like.

Describe HCTU in one word. Welcoming.

What is your dream job? I don’t really have a dream job because I’m kind of multi- interested, so I’m not sure where I’ll end up yet. So far I could picture myself either working as an editor for a newspaper/magazine or in the communications department for a corporation. I’m still kind of figuring it all out. 

What’s your life motto? I really like the quote “Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you’ve imagined.” by Henry David Thoreau. I always hang it in my room and try to live by it. It kind of reminds me to try new things even if they make you uncomfortable at first and to be secure in who you are. Because if you do both of those things then you’ll end up with the awesome future you’ve imagined for yourself. 

What advice would you give yourself as a freshman? As a freshman, I think I would tell myself to learn that it’s okay to say no sometimes. I’m kind of a people pleaser so sometimes I find myself saying yes to everything and taking on way too much. I’ve only recently learned that it’s okay to be selfish and say no sometimes. Sometimes you need to take a step back in order to maintain sanity and reduce the stress in your life. Stress can actually do a lot of harm to your body, which I don’t think a lot of college students realize.

What is your favorite place on campus? My favorite place on campus is Beury Beach. When the weather is nice I love sitting out there for lunch to get some fresh air and vitamin D. It’s also great for people watching.

What are your hobbies? Some of my hobbies are writing, watching Netflix, working out, finding new music and I’ve recently got more into cooking so I like finding new recipes.

What is something you hope to accomplish before you graduate? Before I graduate I hope to have the opportunity to do another internship so that I can figure out what direction I want to go with journalism. I’d love to get an internship abroad or in another part of the country next summer to see a new place.

Paulina is the former Arts & Entertainment Editor at Her Campus Temple University. She is a senior Journalism major and Sociology minor, who plans to pursuse a career in magazines after graduation. She enjoys anything relating to current events, pop culture and inspirational quotes. She can most likely be found watching Netflix, taking Buzzfeed quizzes or trying out new restaurants in Philadelphia. You can follow Paulina on Twitter & Instagram @paulinajayne15
Kaitlin is an alumna of Temple University where she graduated with a B.A. in Journalism and a minor in Political Science. At Temple, she served as Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Temple and was a founding member and former Public Relations Vice President for the Iota Chi chapter of Alpha Xi Delta.  She currently serves Her Campus Media as a Region Leader and Chapter Advisor and was formally a Feature Writer for Fashion, Beauty and Health.