Broad City Recap 2/11

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

We kicked of this week’s episode with a little bit of a character change? Say what? (Don’t worry it’s only for the opening scene) While Ilana is home cleaning her room, and finding enough weed reminisce to make a giant blunt, Abbi was getting her nose pierced! But don’t worry, that’s not where the story even begins to start, so let’s get start now.

Abbi is training a new cleaner at the gym named Maria. While cleaning another trainer comes up to Abbi to ask her if she will be going to Trey’s (their boss and head fitness trainer) party tonight. Abbi says she unsure because she feels it’s a pity invite but trainer manages to convince her. Abbi also hopes that this will help her get a good in with Trey and that maybe she’ll finally be promoted to a trainer. She calls Ilana during work to ask her if she wants to go and Ilana, obviously, says “Chyeah!”

The show cuts to Trey’s party and when they arrive they’re the only two not in fitness attire. For hor d’oeuvres he has out protein bars and other super healthy fitness options. Ilana pulls Abbi aside and tells her they need to leave, like, now. Abbi, now forced to make an excuse to please her friend, tells Trey that she has a tapeworm in her butt and she needs to go. Trey tells her to call him when she’s better and the girls leave to go to another party that Ilana’s roommate is at.

At this party we meet Ilana’s male roommate’s boyfriend while Abbi quickly gets a few drinks and takes a few pictures. But only moments after they arrive Ilana declares the party dead since the hottest guy just left and tells Abbi that they need to leave. Abbi, hesitant, follows Ilana and they head out to another party that their friend Lincoln is at.

They get to the party with Lincoln and once again Abbi goes straight to the booze while Ilana and Lincoln chill for a moment. Right as Abbi has reached her point of intoxication Ilana says that, once again, the party is dead and they have to move on to the next one. So Abbi, Lincoln and Ilana leave together to find the “Narnia of Partias.”

While on their walk to another destination Abbi gets a call from her boss, Trey, saying that he saw a picture of her on Instagram drinking. Abbi tells him it’s a TBT “Throwback Thursday” picture even though it’s currently Friday. Trey then asks to speak to her doctor, which Lincoln now pretends to be. Clearly not knowing what he’s talking about Trey asks if he’s Abbi’s real doctor but Lincoln hands the phone back to Abbi who hangs up as soon as she can. Lincoln apologizes stating:

“I’m a dentist not a doctor. I don’t know how to deal with high pressure situations,” and makes a ‘black-Irish exit’ as Ilana says he does a lot.

Shortly after Ilana finds a rooftop party to go do and although Abbi is, once again, hesistant, Ilana convinces her to go. When they arrive the party is absolutely insane with people and drinks everywhere. While Ilana gets to dancing, Abbi gets to drinking. The two have a blast until the cops show up and shut down the party.

With Ilana out of options, Abbi decides where to go next, although she is blackout drunk and can hardly tell Ilana anything. Ilana follows her down an alleyway that leads to an underground speakeasy. As soon as they enter everyone turns to Abbi and yells, “Val.” And that’s when a mystery is revealed:

Whenever Abbi blacks out, she comes to this speakeasy and becomes the persona Val. A jazz singer swinger in a women’s suit from the 1920’s. That is the moment that Ilana officially declares Val the Narnia of Partias, especially after she eats her newly inserted nose ring.

The next morning they decide to sober up at a diner where Abbi has completely forgotten what happened that night. When Ilana is sure that Abbi didn’t remember anything she officially knows that she has no more FOMO (Fear Of Missing Out) on Abbi’s life.

They leave the restaurant and Abbi says that she’s going to take a quick nap before work starts at 7am. Ilana tells her that it is currently 6:45am and Abbi decides that she’ll just go straight there. She calls a cab and says her goodbye. Before she can even turn the corner the cab comes to a stop and Abbi opens the door and pukes, much to Ilana’s enjoyment.

At work, Maria walks in wearing a trainer t-shirt, much to Abbi’s dismay. Abbi, reluctantly smiles but has to ask how the f*ck that happened. Maria tells her that she and Trey got a little tipsy at his party and she just ask him to be a trainer and he allowed it. Crazy, huh? Too crazy. Poor Abbi…

Abbi just can’t seem to catch a break on these past two episodes. Hopefully things will start looking up for her soon! Tune into Comedy Central at 10:30pm EST on Wednesdays to find out if Abbi has made any progression at all.

Samantha is a Communications Studies transfer at Temple University. She has an obsession for Slam Poetry/Spoken Word, YouTube videos and, the obvious, Netflix. In her spare time she also enjoys writing scripts, short stories and has also made contributions to Femsplain.com. She hopes to continue her love for writing, especially media content, to Her Campus and wait to find in niche in life.
Lindsey is a senior magazine journalism major at Temple University. After she graduates in May she hopes to return to NYC, which she fell in love with this summer during her ASME internship at Real Simple magazine.