Is Bridget Jones’s Baby Worth the Hype?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

The long awaited new Bridget Jones movie dropped last month bringing in $120.8 million to the box office. Bridget Jones’s movies are some that I feel like everyone has seen. They are popular all around the world, especially in the United States and the United Kingdom. Bridget Jones made a huge comeback after not filling a sequel since 2004.

This film is now the third installation in the franchise that has been growing since 2001. I personally haven’t watched the pervious movies since they were first released and I was hoping this one would live up to all the long awaited hype. I mean with Patrick Dempsey and Colin Firth, I figured nothing could go wrong. I feel like it definitely had high expectations after the long break, but did it live up to those? In my opinion, it definitely did.

The movie started with Bridget Jones celebrating her 43rd birthday and she realizes that her time to have children is greatly running out. She bumps into her ex Mark (Colin Firth) and then runs into Jack (Patrick Dempsey) at a musical festival. It all goes downhill from there. She becomes a part of an awkward love triangle because she has not idea which guy is the father of her baby.

The acting was amazing and I found myself laughing at multiple times throughout the movie. Everyone I knew that went to see it, loved it and told me that I had to go see it. I found it very easy to follow along and the plot left you having all your questions answered. The movie was not predicable at all and you did not find out the father until the very end. I guessed who it was half way through and it turned out that my predictions were wrong. The movie leaves on a cliff-hanger that I do not think anyone saw coming which left the whole audience wanting more.

Overall, I would give Bridget Jones Baby a 10/10 and would recommend it to everyone. You do not need to watch the other movies because this one follows its own story line. The actors made this movie even better than I thought because of their personalities. I would not change anything about this movie because I think the producers and directors did an amazing job. If you are looking for a good comedy, this is a perfect movie for you. Bridget Jones Baby is still playing in theaters across the region and I would highly recommend watching it.

Logan is a junior journalism major, and serves as Campus Correspondent.  She is also the proud president of Delta Phi Epsilon, Delta Nu, her sorority. Logan is typically super busy, but still dedicates hours to reading a Cosmo from front to back...twice. Logan loves all things social media, especially following puppy accounts on Instagram. Her dream is to break into the magazine industry and help empower other women to pursue their dreams, whatever that may be.