Books On A Shelf
Books On A Shelf
Breanna Coon / Her Campus

Book Club! Trade in Screen Time for These Good Reads

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

When is the last time you picked up a book for fun? Losing yourself in a story is the cheapest vacation you can go on! If you have been dealing with a lot of stress, a good book can transport you to anywhere in the world or a fictional world! Escape the screens, your worries, your life and jump into the world of fiction.

Pick Up Something Fun: “We Are Never Meeting in Real Life” by Samantha Irby

Irby has constructed a book of essays that anyone can relate to! Don’t let the word essay scare you off…they are comedic essays. She dives into awkward sexual encounters and navigating evolving friendships. Not only will this be a fun read, you’ll find great advice from a very relatable author. 

Need a Good Cry? Read: “Monday is Not Coming” by Tiffany D. Jackson 

Jackson explores the tragic disappearance of a teenage girl named Monday in this tearjerker. It follows Claudia as she searches for her best friend. She seems to be the only one who’s looking. Find out what happened to Monday in this thrilling read!

How About Something Spooky? Beware of: “Uzumaki” by Junji Ito 

“Uzumaki” is created by horror mangaka genius Junji Ito. It explores a fictional town that is plagued with a strange curse involving spirals. Read it before it appears on screen this year! 

Upgrade your love for dystopian novels for this satire: “Severance” by Ling Ma 

Ma gives us a satirical look on the end of the world in this novel. Candace finds herself in the middle of a plague that turns people into zombies (that don’t eat people)! Read all about her transition from the office to a cult! 

A Little Romance: “The Kiss Quotient” by Helen Hoang

Stella Lane is a mathematician!  As far as dating goes…she is not the most experienced. She decides to get practice in this department with an escort. This should be fun!

If you want to establish reading more as a permanent habit, join a book club! You can do this online by following tags on Instagram. You can join groups on Facebook and Good Reads that set reading challenges monthly! You can even start your own! You can also join a book club near you! Find a book club through the Meetups app (or start one!). You can even go to Girls Night In on Instagram or Noname Book Club to find a book club chapter near you.

Whether you are reading on your own or in a group, taking some time to read everyday will make you much happier than scrolling through other peoples’ vacation pictures on Insta! It is so much more than a good habit — reading can be fun! 

Maya Sims is a writer native to the Philadelphia area. She studies film and media studies at Temple University graduating in spring 2020. She has a passion for storytelling that has led her to writing in all mediums. Maya is currently producing a short film for a script she wrote and has published pieces in Harness Community and FEM*S Zine.
When Rachel isn't obsessively drinking iced coffee by the gallon or binge watching true crime videos on YouTube, you can probably find her writing about her failed love life. She is currently a  junior (*she's ancient*) journalism major at Temple University, and is a Her Campus Temple Campus Correspondent, a Temple Student Government Social Media Manager and a 2020 Owl Team Student Coordinator.