The Best of Selena Gomez’s ‘Revival’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.
Selena Gomez is not new to the music industry. She began as an actress on Disney Channel in 2007, playing the lovable Alex Russo in the hit show, “Wizards of Waverly Place.” Since, she has acted in many hit movies and has released only one solo album before “Revival.” Today, Gomez is known more for her music as she develops an individual style and sound. She has now transitioned into adulthood, and “Revival” proves that. Here are the top five hits from the album!

1. “Good For You”

Gomez set high hopes for the album with her single, “Good for You.” It was one of the most popular songs of the summer, and definitely showcased her new mature sound. A$AP Rocky is also featured on the single, which brings a hip-hop sound into the otherwise pop song. 

2. “Revival”

Gomez’s spoken introduction in this song is enough to set it apart from all of the others in the album. The rest of the song continues with great beats and the powerful message of her fresh start and new beginnings. 

3. “Same Old Love”

This song is one of the catchiest on the album. Its rhythm and edgy chorus make it stand out instantly, plus the lyrics are all about moving on from a breakup, so it’s relatable for a lot of listeners.

4. “Me and My Girls”

“Me and My Girls” has a dark tone, but its uplifting lyrics are very empowering. It’s all about girl power and not needing a man, which are great messages for Gomez’s audience. 

5. “Perfect” 

“Perfect” stands out for being lighter and slower compared to the other songs on the album. However, the lyrics are still serious. Gomez sings about knowing her boyfriend is cheating, which is not an easy subject.

Overall, Selena Gomez’s new album proves that she has successfully transformed from a child star into a developed artist. Each song on her album has the ability to captivate listeners through the lyrics and instrumentals. The songs are not just meaningless pop songs, but instead offer messages and wisdom to Gomez’s adolescent audience: The importance of friendship, moving on after love and learning to love yourself. Gomez showcases her singing capabilities and range by making each song have its own pace and rhythm. Without a doubt, Gomez has solidified her career in the music industry through this album.
Melissa is a sophomore journalism student at Temple University. She hopes to work in the entertainment industry upon graduation. She loves living in Philly, and tries to explore as much as possible. She loves watching television, as well as writing and reading about it.
Logan is a junior journalism major, and serves as Campus Correspondent.  She is also the proud president of Delta Phi Epsilon, Delta Nu, her sorority. Logan is typically super busy, but still dedicates hours to reading a Cosmo from front to back...twice. Logan loves all things social media, especially following puppy accounts on Instagram. Her dream is to break into the magazine industry and help empower other women to pursue their dreams, whatever that may be.