Best Movies To Watch On A Snow Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Snow days can be a super nice break when you’re feeling overloaded with school, work and the immense pressure to get out of bed before noon. But let’s be honest: Sometimes you can run out of things to do when you’re snowed in your apartment and you’ve already snacked on nearly everything in your cabinets. Instead of staring at a blank Word document all day (because no one does any work when you have a full free day to do so), try watching a movie with your roommates or all curled up in your bed by yourself. If you’re feeling indecisive because you know that you can only watch Mean Girls and Juno so many times, no worries guys…I got you.

1.     Walk The Line

This movie is the perfect mix of music, drama, biography, romance and everything in between. Based off of the life of Johnny Cash, played by Joaquin Phoenix (who is practically Cash’s doppelgänger), the story progresses throughout his childhood and focuses on his music career and life struggles. If you’re in the mood to watch some dramatic stuff go down, this is your movie. And it also gives you a little history lesson on a legendary musician, so it’s a win-win. Even if you’re not that into dramatic or historical movies, give this one a try!

2.     50/50

This movie has a killer cast from the get-go. Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Seth Rogen as best friends? Sign me up. It’s another drama, but definitely in a different way. Jo-Go’s character is diagnosed with cancer and forced to rethink a lot about what is important in his life. With his best friend by his side, he tries his best to tackle this disease, however he ends up finding some pretty great things (and people) through his troubled time. Seth Rogen is, as usual, hilarious and your heart is sure to break for poor Jo-Go. Not too sappy, but definitely a great mix of comedy and drama. Somehow the leading pair make you want to curl up and cry, but still laugh all at once.

3.     School of Rock

Although I have heard a few people express that they find Jack Black to be generally not funny, I can’t get enough of his performances – especially in “School of Rock.” Black, playing a sort-of-deadbeat musician who steals a substitute teacher job, stars with a cast of extremely hilarious and talented child actors. The chemistry between Black and his students is almost too funny to be completely scripted. “School of Rock” has both music and comedy, as well as a great story line that never has a dull moment. Even if you’re not a Jack Black fan, I promise his role in this movie is one to remember.

4.     The Guardian

Where do I start? Okay well, Ashton Kutcher…but this is also just a great movie to watch if you’re looking to be emotionally invested in something for about two hours. I hate to keep throwing dramas at you guys, but this one is yet again different than either of the last two. “The Guardian” is definitely action-packed and heart-wrenching. All I really wanted to do was jump through the screen and hold Ashton during his rough times, but who wouldn’t? Kutcher’s character, training to be part of the U.S. Coast Guard, experiences some things that are sure to make your body ache, your jaw drop and your mind think “Who signs up for this stuff?” Of course, there has to be a love interest, because what lady wouldn’t fall in love with a shirtless Ashton Kutcher who saves lives for a living? I’m not sure that you need any more reason to go download the movie right now…but “The Guardian” also has a great plot line and will most definitely keep you captivated.

5.     Zoolander

This is truly one of my favorite comedies. If you haven’t seen it yet, do yourself a favor and watch it immediately! Ben Stiller, as the namesake character, is supported by amazing performances from Will Ferrell and Owen Wilson. Stiller plays a terribly innocent male model who allows his lack of brain to get him into a lot of trouble. But be warned that you will most likely be quoting “Zoolander” for the next few weeks after watching it. This movie is great if you’re looking for a goofy comedy, especially if you’re a fan of movies like Anchorman or Dodgeball. Definitely a must see, or even something that’s easy to re-watch while you’re lounging around on a snow day.

Writer, Photographer, Video Editor, Bagel-Consumer - Senior at Temple University
Jennifer Nguyen is a senior journalism student at Temple. She has been a part of Her Campus Temple since its formation in 2010 and being a part of HCTU has been one of the best things she has ever done. She aspires to be a magazine writer in New York after graduation. Jennifer is passionate about learning more about the world around her and hopes to travel the world one day. As a journalist, she strives to share the stories of people whose voices need to be heard. In her spare time, she loves reading French literature, learning languages and watching Bravo reality TV shows.