Basic Girl’s Guide To Fall Photo-Shoots

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

We all know that basic girl who breaks out her blanket, scarves, and L.L. Bean boots as soon as the weather drops just below 70 degrees.

It’s me. I’m that girl. And chances are, so are you.

There’s no need to be ashamed. Yeah, you’re a fan of pumpkin spice lattes. And yeah, it’s probably a tad too warm for that oversized sweater. But, so what? Every basic girl is a sucker for fall.

In fact, it’s time to put this seasonal obsession on display—on Instagram, that is.

Autumn’s rich oranges, deep burgundies, and vibrant yellows, are ideal for capturing that Instagram-perfect picture. Good lighting and the right angle is key for any picture, but there are a few other necessities when preparing for the perfect fall photo-shoot.

1. Go to a local apple-picking farm for photos.

A go-to photo-shoot location for the October-season is an apple-picking farm. To be basic, throw on a flannel and vest and quite literally sprint to your local farm as soon as the temperature reaches a “can-pretend-to-be-comfortable-in-boots” level. This is the ideal place to be casually sitting in a wagon full of apples, where, if you’re lucky, someone will just so happen to take your picture mid-laugh. Funny how that works, amiright?

2. Transform your family trip to the pumpkin patch into a photo-shoot… of yourself.

Much like apple-picking farms, a pumpkin patch can satisfy all of your fall photo-shoot needs. With fields of vibrant orange pumpkins as far as the eye can see, pumpkin patches are a beyond aesthetic location. Whether you’re sitting on hayride or holding a pumpkin over your head, your photos are sure to turn out absolutely basic—in the best way possible.

3. Layer everything and anything possible.

Who cares if it’s 70 degrees out and you’re wearing a flannel, a sweater, and your favorite lightweight jacket? Not you. You don’t care. Bundling up in your favorite layers gives off a warm and cozy vibe in photos… even if you are uncontrollably sweating.

4. The appropriate color scheme.

No one ever took an artsy fall photo while wearing pastels—it’s just a fact. Deep reds, browns, and oranges are an essential to any fall Instagram, even if you yourself aren’t in it. Sticking to a fall color scheme won’t only present you as the autumnal beauty that you are, but it will match your seasonal Instagram feed. And that’s a necessity.

5. Use your PSLs to your advantage.

Coffee, tea, and hot chocolate are all staples of the fall season. You’re already going to be drinking them, so why not incorporate them into your pictures as well?

6. Don’t let the haters faze you.

All basic girls have haters, who will probably tell you that your fall candids are staged. Since you don’t need that kind of negativity in your life, politely tell them that they are wrong.  Because, no, you had no idea that your friend was taking a candid of you sipping tea out of your favorite mug on a park bench. And yeah, you just happened to have a latte in hand when conveniently standing in front of a pile of leaves. It happens, okay?

At the end of the day, don’t let this faux-summer weather ruin the photogenic season that is autumn.

It might not actually feel like fall yet, but your Instagram followers certainly don’t need to know that.

When Rachel isn't obsessively drinking iced coffee by the gallon or binge watching true crime videos on YouTube, you can probably find her writing about her failed love life. She is currently a  junior (*she's ancient*) journalism major at Temple University, and is a Her Campus Temple Campus Correspondent, a Temple Student Government Social Media Manager and a 2020 Owl Team Student Coordinator.