Awethentic: Shades of Life from an Owl’s Perspective

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

My semester off gave me the opportunity to return to Temple with a new layer of skin, a fresh pair of eyes and a blank canvas. Without a doubt, my first two years at Temple have been testing. Now, I walk on Temple’s campus with purpose and admiration.

Even with local tensions, the beauty and complexity of Temple’s campus amazes me. The truth is that even though Temple has problems that we all complain about on the regular (advising, financial aid, and the cutting of sports teams to name a few), my school offers me opportunities that I am grateful for. I have made friends that I love and I am creating a route for my future that I am proud of.

My friends and I did not envision ourselves at Temple. It isn’t a first choice for many, but what is important is that we grow to love our school because for the most part, it feels like our school, our peers, our professors, and our city love us back. I am positive each student and staff member feels as if the colorful beach chairs laid throughout campus were their own personal gifts. For now, Temple is my home that I cherish.

Temple students are unique. We are known to work one job or multiple jobs while still balancing classes. We are grungy, yet classy. We are hardworking, but we know how to turn up! We are diamonds in the rough. We are awethentic. Our ability to maintain our essence under the many circumstances we encounter is admirable.

With my blog, I intend to highlight the ups and the downs of my life as an Owl with honesty and authenticity-two traits I admire and try to latch onto. There is nothing more thrilling than being yourself without shame or hesitation. The people I look up to most are those who express themselves with reckless abandon. I hope to maintain the perspective and energy I hold in solitude regardless of social circumstances. Each week I want to write to motivate others and myself. Ultimately, my goal in life is to understand, question, and help others connect.

Kaitlin is an alumna of Temple University where she graduated with a B.A. in Journalism and a minor in Political Science. At Temple, she served as Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Temple and was a founding member and former Public Relations Vice President for the Iota Chi chapter of Alpha Xi Delta.  She currently serves Her Campus Media as a Region Leader and Chapter Advisor and was formally a Feature Writer for Fashion, Beauty and Health.