girl outside castle
girl outside castle
Lauren Zweerink

Awareness through Fashion: Appreciating the Culture in Times of Need

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

The Beauty in times of Crisis

In these past two years the world has seen so much devastation. While fashion is not the most important thing, it has the power to draw attention. Fashion tells a story, while countries around the world are facing major crises and struggling, celebrating the beauty of their creations through dynamic textures and patterns can allow appreciation for more than the devastations highlighted in headlines. Countries that are struggling deserve to be known for all the beauty infused through their history. History is incorporated in fashion, a voice for the country through art. Positive attention needs to be brought to these countries in order to create change amongst the havoc that they go through on a daily basis. The focus on a disaster can be shifted but cannot be ignored, a piece of clothing may seem worthless to some but there is energy poured into the creation of something that has the ability to shape lives and form connections. Let’s explore the beauty behind the fashion to celebrate the good in the countries that are fighting through devastation and poor conditions everyday.

Top Countries Experiencing Crises Today:

Haiti – 

Haiti was barely up from their feet from the earthquakes in 2010 and 2018, now having endured another earthquake they are forced to rebuild once again. While millions have been affected by this national disaster, the country withstood another tragedy to make matters worse. President Jovenel Moïse got assassinated, striking fear through the nation with an already corrupt government. Having been there first hand to help volunteer two years in a row after the earthquakes I can speak on how beautiful their culture is and beyond the disaster the country is full with wonderful people and exquisite nature. 

Haiti is known for their vibrant colors throughout their style with many bold choices and patterns reflecting their culture. With lots of silk and linen incorporated into their fashion it creates beautiful lines creating elegant silhouettes. In addition to beads creating a statement through their traditional style they have elaborate headpieces that accentuate their beauty and elevate the outfit. One of my favorite things about haitian fashion is that they incorporate their home into their clothing to create a sense of culture and connection.

Afghanistan –

Afghanistan has been making headlines for years, now more than ever nations are finding a voice to help the country in need. The United States left the country after years of fighting, sadly leaving it in the hands of the Taliban. People in Afghanistan raced and fought to get on the flight out of war torn Afghanistan. Great suffering is seen now more than ever before creating an ongoing conflict for children. The ongoing conflict has left the country with a shaken economy that has created an environment meant to ruin lives. Many of the children have already been exposed to war all their lives being forced to live in horrific conditions. 

Afghanistan’s fashion reflects their country, the loose cloth and beautiful prints that flow, but the Taliban unfortunately have intervened with what women wore particularly. Women now dress fully in burqas. The Taliban has created pressure in a society that was full of color.

Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) –

The Democratic Republic of the Congo has unfortunately endured such political instability that has created severe humanitarian crises. With one of the world’s poorest health systems the country constantly is in a battle with life threatening diseases. People are continuously seen fleeing the poor country due to their conflicts. 

The DRC is another place where pattern is infused into their clothing heavily to reflect their environment and culture in a positive way. Many bright and vibrant colors are seen in their designs along with geometric shapes and use of primary color is very present. The clothing is said to use “spaceology” and focuses specifically on exploring the space of the clothing while incorporating colorful shapes strategically. 

Yemen – 

Unfortunately Yemen remains the world’s largest humanitarian crisis, millions of people face high levels of food shortage and children risk many health issues due to the lack of resources. Unavailability to school and health care is an ongoing struggle exposing the nation to massive injustice. 

Yemen fashion consists of many traditional clothing styles, exposing an elegant and sophisticated look through darker colors while incorporating beautiful embroidery. Additionally elaborate gold jewelry pieces are included to create a unique rich look that makes the clothing technical and makes vast layers drawing the eye into all the details. Yemen has the turban for males and hijabs for women adding another wonderful element to elevate the style which reflects their culture in yet another way.

Syria – 

Syria is another country that has fallen to poverty forcing children to work and fight for survival lacking education support. The nation is also sadly food-insecure as well. It is devastating to recognize that malnutrition strikes yet another place. The country lacks resources for the protection of their people.

Syrian fashion is another country that has powerful traditional dress, as there are regions that have shifted to modern clothing. Pattern driven with bold color choices that reflect their nation, although different tribes and villages may have their own specific dress. Dark fabrics and long cloths that can be heavy in weight and are made to have a great heavy look as well. As it pulls from many different ethinc groups we see the voice of Syria in their garments with colors and elements and details incorporated to create something special. 

Venezuela –

Sadly Venezuela is one of the most dangerous countries for children. The shortage is devastating as there is again a lack of food, medical supply. The components have forcely caused people to try to leave with a desperate need to survive causing the nation to suffer a journey filled with diseases and an impending amount of stress.

Fashion in Venezuela is absolutely beautiful, flowy and incorporates designs such as flowers that create a happy and graceful appeal. There is a Spanish and Caribbean influence on their designs with wonderful colors that catch the eye and focus on physical beauty. Texture and layers create room for movement and add to the appearance. The ruffles add volume and create a loud space in their fashion space boldly showcasing the nation’s beauty. 

There are many ways to draw attention to these alluring countries, fashion is by no means the primary focus  but appreciating traditions and giving the country a voice to attract to hopefully gain more help for a cause. These countries deeply value the strand of fashion that is linked to tradition and wear it proudly. Society should move into appreciated fashion from a vast of places and use it as a tool to potentially bring awareness and help places in need.

Alice is a staff writer for HerCampus at Temple University. She is an advertising major, has an adventurous soul, and is always up for exploration. The fashion world excites her and she has a huge passion for traveling. She loves meeting new people and is always looking to embrace new cultures. Alice wears her heart on her sleeve, dives into new things headfirst with a smile so don't hesitate to reach out especially if you want to talk fashion!