Ask Izzy: Chivalry, Life Balance and More

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

We’re back with our next set of questions and answers from yours truly. I am more than elated that you all have been submitting thought-provoking questions. This week, I will be answering some more questions that I hope will be both helpful and beneficial to everyone in some way. With that being said, let’s just get to it.

Anonymous asked: Do you think chivalry is dead or do you think young ladies are more accepting of disrespect these days?

This is a great question. I’ll start by saying that CHIVALRY IS NOT DEAD. There are so many men out there that know how to treat a lady and enjoy being gentlemen. It may be a little more rare than it was back in the day but there are reasons for that. I honestly feel like young ladies (especially in college) do not really want chivalry. I don’t know how many times I’ve heard girls say they did not like a guy because he was too nice or they liked guys that were rough and stern. Ever heard of the term, “nice guys finish last?” Many young women have made this statement true by friend-zoning guys that are nice to them or do more than what they are used to. This causes men to feel like they have to give ladies less than they have to offer. Also, I do believe that girls are more accepting of disrespect these days because many people are mistreated so they adapt to these things to avoid being hurt/disappointed again. I am a huge advocate of chivalry because every woman should be treated like a queen at all times as long as they carry themselves as such. As women, knowing your worth is crucial. Once young women begin to believe how royal and precious they are, they will be able to accept the royal treatment that is known as chivalry.

Anonymous asked: How are you able to balance your social life and be a good student?

Being able to balance the both isn’t as difficult as you may think. I definitely learned this through experience and I’ve failed in the past because I wasn’t prioritizing the way I should have. It all boils down to time management and prioritizing at the end of the day. I admit that it is challenging because there will be times when you have to choose being a good student over having a social life. You are in college and your objective should be to succeed academically over anything so that you can live a better life after college. Though this is true, a social life in college is important because this is how you build connections and relationships that may even last a lifetime. It’s up to you to find a way to maintain both. Everyone is different but one step is to plan ahead and stay as organized as possible.

Anonymous asked: I’ve been best friends with a guy for 10 years. I’ve recently realized I have feelings for him. He’s admitted to having feelings for me many times (mostly when drunk) to me but now also to my friends. I’m afraid to tell him how I feel because I don’t want to lose him as a friend. What would you do?

If you’ve been friends with him for 10 years, being honest shouldn’t be that difficult (At least I think so). I do not think telling him how you feel would jeopardize your friendship. If I were you, I would express the way I feel because I’d have to live with the idea of wondering what could be if I’d just kept it 100. If being honest about how you feel ruins your friendship, it’s not a real friendship. I have friends that I’ve known for years and I respect their opinion and respect how they feel about situations even when I do not agree with them. I know being honest is easier said than done but life is all about taking chances. I would be disappointed if I let the person I had feelings for just slip away without giving it a chance. Do it!

Anonymous asked: If your boyfriend is consistently emotionally cheating but never physically cheats what does that infer about your relationship?

I take “emotionally cheating” as you saying that he doesn’t invest in you emotionally or give you anything to work with in that area. I take it that he is not with you for a real relationship if he’s not investing much. Maybe the physical aspect is what he enjoys the most. This is just my assumption based on the little info you supplied but have you addressed it? Maybe he does care and doesn’t have a good way of showing it. If that’s the case, you have to make it known. Many relationships fail due to the lack of communication. This is just my opinion on the matter. I hope things get much better for you.

Don’t forget to keep the questions coming! Send them anonymously to ask.fm/askizzyhctu or use the hashtag #AskIzzy on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Jennifer Nguyen is a senior journalism student at Temple. She has been a part of Her Campus Temple since its formation in 2010 and being a part of HCTU has been one of the best things she has ever done. She aspires to be a magazine writer in New York after graduation. Jennifer is passionate about learning more about the world around her and hopes to travel the world one day. As a journalist, she strives to share the stories of people whose voices need to be heard. In her spare time, she loves reading French literature, learning languages and watching Bravo reality TV shows.