This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Now more than ever, it can be very difficult to leave the comfort of your room while completing assignments.  I feel like I am trapped in a shoebox, unable to move my legs because I have been sitting for too long.  Ever since quarantine began, I have been trying to teach myself how to take breaks. It sounds crazy, but I honestly do not know how to stop working sometimes.  There is rarely a time when I think I deserve to rest.  The truth is, after a few hours, your body requires you to take time to relax and take a break, to reset.  Here are five ways to step away from your desk and take some time to breathe. 

Take a walk.

Any sort of interaction with the outdoors can help you focus better on your assignments.  Walking around campus, your neighborhood, or even down the street can help clear your mind and ease stress as well. I also recommend listening to music, if you want to make the walk a bit more fun.  Whatever you do, try to get outside!

Make a snack.

A break is a perfect excuse to eat something yummy.  Some of my favorite snacks are salami and cheese with Pepperidge Farm Golden Butter Butterfly Crackers, mini Pretzel Crisps, cantaloupe, honeydew, and Smartfood Popcorn.  These snacks are on the healthier side and they can help you recharge after a long study session.  Try some of my ideas until you find your favorite.

Call a family member or friend.

Contact a friend or family member who is a good listener.  Whenever I feel overworked, I usually call my mom or my grandmother. They give me advice on how to handle my responsibilities and how to refocus. Talking things out with someone definitely helps you organize your thoughts and it allows you to become calmer. 

A side note: It is nice to be thought of, so giving someone a call is a great way to brighten their day! 

Write it in a journal.

Write down your thoughts and feelings while taking a break.  When I write, I tend to make lists of everything I have to complete, then, I prioritize the tasks based on their deadlines. It is okay to write: I feel frustrated and stressed because writing it down means that you recognize that your work is preventing you from feeling good.  Admitting to negative feelings is the first step in changing your attitude.  Continue to write.  Soon, you will feel better!

Meditate.

Lastly, mediating is the most effective way to aid your concentration and to reduce stress. This can be done in many ways.  Try deep breathing exercises, lay down,  rest for thirty minutes or go online and search for guided meditation videos on YouTube. The more time you have to meditate, the more you will feel at peace.

Overall, taking time out of your day to relax and walk away from your daily tasks is beneficial to your mental health.  Many of us become caught up in assignments and activities and we forget to check-in with ourselves and reset.  Whenever you feel like you have too much on your plate, remember to take a break! 

Alyssa Threadgill is a senior journalism and theater student at Temple University. She is also a Co-Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Temple. Alyssa takes great pride in her chapter membership, as she started writing for Her Campus as a freshman in 2020. She has always had a passion for media and dreamed of being "the next Oprah Winfrey." From a young age, she was involved in the performing arts, studying classical ballet, tap and jazz for more than 10 years. For Alyssa, having a career in entertainment journalism is the perfect way to combine her two passions. For the past few months, she has been working as a freelance entertainment writer, covering film and television press junkets and other interviews. Alyssa is also a Multiplatform Programming Intern at 6abc in Philadelphia. She is proud to intern at her favorite hometown television station and work alongside journalists she has admired since childhood. Alyssa's career goals include becoming a Red Carpet correspondent and then later hosting her own entertainment talk show on a national network.
I'm a social media fanatic. Between my work as a rising senior public relations student at Temple University and my personal blog (living-with-love.com) hobby, you can always find me on my phone. I'm from a small town in Connecticut and spend my free time doing barre workouts, rewatching television series, and reading new books. I joined HC as my first organization at college, and I can't imagine ending my academic career leading anywhere else!