This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

We all have those shows we just can’t get enough of. My personal favorites, like many, are The Office and New Girl, which I have watched countless times. With so many shows and movies on the market, I have certainly been watching on all streaming platforms (which I sometimes feel guilty for doing) Since there are so many shows to watch due to streaming, re-watching can sometimes feel like a waste of time. Despite this feeling from time-to-time, re-watching is an act of self-care and one I encourage you to indulge in. 

I have found re-watching shows to be very beneficial for my mental health. It provides a level of comfort and familiarity to your life. As strange as it sounds, it gives off the same vibe as seeing an old friend, there is an atmosphere of nostalgia when it comes to revisiting the same characters and settings. Putting on a show like New Girl in the background while I go about my day makes it a little easier to get through it. There is something beautiful about the definite. 

In a world of possibilities and unexpected events, it is nice to have something constant and predictable. When you go into a favorite show, you already know what to expect from it. I have found this contrast to be calming whenever I start to feel anxious or overwhelmed with the world. It gives your mind a break from thinking about what comes next and allows you to have a sense of certainty. Especially in the time of coronavirus when there is an air of uncertainty, it is helpful to have a go-to comfort show that you know you will enjoy. 

Aside from the mental health aspects of the re-watch, it is a possibility to pick up on things you may have missed before. It can be fun to catch new details in your favorite shows that can make you more invested in the show. Consuming other entertainment about the show can make you enjoy your re-watch even more. For instance, I have been listening to a podcast made by two of the actresses from The Office while completing my most recent re-watch. The new information on the behind the scenes has given me a new perspective on the show while keeping the air of certainty around it.

Although we can’t go back in time to watch our favorite shows for the first time, re-watching them provides a new experience of them that is just as valuable. In a world of uncertainty, having something constant is superior to jumping into a new and uncertain show. It’s time to let those “to-watch” lists keep waiting and give in to re-watching your favorite shows. 

I am a Junior at Temple University at the College of Liberal Arts. I am an Opinion Writer for Temple's HerCampus, an English major, and a Political Science minor. When I am not in classes or studying, I am either reading or rewatching the Office.
I'm a social media fanatic. Between my work as a rising senior public relations student at Temple University and my personal blog (living-with-love.com) hobby, you can always find me on my phone. I'm from a small town in Connecticut and spend my free time doing barre workouts, rewatching television series, and reading new books. I joined HC as my first organization at college, and I can't imagine ending my academic career leading anywhere else!