Art Commercialization: 5 Pieces You Have to Have

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Some may say that taking art out of context is kitschy, ignorant, and played out. But, I believe it is a tool that sparks inspiration and conversation. In our transcendent, high tech world we can get anything put anywhere we want in whatever size, color, or shape we dang well please. Therefore, I argue that it is unfair to expect art lovers (or even kids who just think Salvador Dali’s clocks are dope) to shun merchandise covered in our favorite iconic images! So here, my fellow art aficionados, are the best pieces of commercialized art that my little computer could find!

1. Van Gogh Blossom Flask

Drink to Van and his accomplishments! You’ll look classy even if you get annihilated and end up on the side of the road. People will be looking at the blossoms, not your broken high heel.

2. Matisse Tee

The drama! The passion! The precision! The Hanes quality cotton! What’s not to love!? (Ok $25 IS a little steep but it’s the price you pay to look cultured.)

3. Salvador Slip-Ons

Look instantly cool by slipping these Dali-inspired Keds on those intelligent little feet of yours. And don’t worry about running late. Time isn’t real, and the clocks are melting anyway.

4. Picasso Pin

Pin little sleeping Pablo on your breast pocket, and ask him for advice whenever you’re feeling blue (or rosey).

5. Frida Kahlo Tote

Throw your Van Gogh flask in here for double exposure, and don’t feel bad if you’re eyebrows aren’t “on fleek” in society’s eyes. Frida and her uni-brow have got your back.

Savannah is a graduate of Temple University, now pursuing her lifelong dream of living in NYC. She enjoys perusing second-hand books stores, staring at the work of Egon Schiele, and listening to Keith Richards shred his electric guitar.
Logan is a junior journalism major, and serves as Campus Correspondent.  She is also the proud president of Delta Phi Epsilon, Delta Nu, her sorority. Logan is typically super busy, but still dedicates hours to reading a Cosmo from front to back...twice. Logan loves all things social media, especially following puppy accounts on Instagram. Her dream is to break into the magazine industry and help empower other women to pursue their dreams, whatever that may be.