This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

We do some crazy things for perfect skin, whether it’s slathering chemicals on our faces every night or lasering away the imperfections. Now there’s IV drips, which aren’t just for sick hospital patients anymore. Are beauty IV drips really worth it though?

As a pre-med student, I’m pretty used to seeing IV drips while volunteering at hospitals. However, I do not like having needles poked into myself. Needles have terrified me ever since I had to get an IV drip while suffering from a really bad flu. 

A couple years ago, I started seeing famous celebrities like Rihanna, Bella Hadid and countless others getting vitamin IV drips, which they all praised. When you eat food or take supplements, they have to go through your digestive system before they can get absorbed into your bloodstream. When you get these vitamins through an IV needle, they bypass your digestive system and go straight to your bloodstream where you get the benefits directly into your body. Hence the reason you get perfect, glowing skin really quickly. If your body is healthy within, it will show on the outside as well.

I would love to get a beauty IV for journalistic purposes, but my fear of needles is too much. So,  I did the second best thing. I looked up the menu for a spa closest to me called “City Hydration” in Philadelphia. The process in order to get an IV treatment is a lot. First, you have to call and make an appointment, and then complete a client waiver and health screening form. A registered nurse will then perform an assessment and consult with physicians to see if you’re a good candidate for the IV therapy. If you are a good candidate, you can then customize the treatment you want for your concerns. The spa has seats and lounge chairs where you can relax while a registered nurse administers the IV treatment. Treatments last about thirty to forty-five minutes, and the spa even has heated blankets for you to relax in!

The menu for all the treatments looked amazing, but oh my God! Treatments ranged from $75 to $1000 for single dose infusions! If I could make a suggestion, do not get the $75 Standard Hydration treatment from this spa, which is just a standard 1L saline drip. This treatment is designed to replenish lost fluids, but you can easily do that by drinking enough water throughout the day. It is definitely not worth the $75. If you are dehydrated to the point that you need fluids via IV, you should just go to a hospital and insurance can possibly cover the costs.

The treatment that appealed to me the most was the NAD+ treatments. NAD+ is a coenzyme in the body that helps your cells function and has many benefits including: increased energy, strengthened hair, nails and skin, and a slowed aging process. However, the price tag of this treatment couldn’t be any less appealing; a 250mg treatment costs $250 and a 1000mg for $1000. The spa even offers special packages that cost from $2250 to $7500!

IV treatments work really fast! You can see benefits within the first twenty-four hours, and the results can last for about a week. You might have an injection sight reaction as a side effect, which can result in bruising or inflammation since a needle is indeed breaking your skin. In order to keep up with the benefits, you’d have to regularly get these treatments, which wouldn’t be easy on your wallet. If you are going to get an IV drip, be cautious of who you get it from. Make sure the spa is a sterile place and the person administering the IV is a trained and licensed professional. 

Although I can’t afford a $1000 IV drip right now, when I get over my fear of needles and I’m married to a professional athlete, you bet I’ll be getting regular IV drips for younger looking skin! Go to cityhydration.com to check out all the IV treatments being offered.

Zuha Asghar

Temple '21

Zuha Asghar is a Senior Public Health major at Temple University. Aside from being a staff writer at Her Campus Temple, Zuha is the activities chair for her sorority, Alpha Epsilon Phi and Vice President for the American Physician Scientist Association. Zuha hopes to go to medical school in the future and specialize in sports medicine. In her free time Zuha enjoys shopping, trying new skin care products and going to different coffee shops.
Delaney Mills is a Senior at Temple University majoring in Communication Studies. She's has a love for fashion and Harry Styles. She can usually be found at the Bagel Hut on campus or in her bed watching New Girl. Follow her on Instagram @duhlaneyyy!!