Are College Women Too Old to have “Bieber Fever”?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Absolutely not! Justin Bieber becomes a bigger sensation each and every day. In case you don’t realize the magnitude of his accomplishments, take into consideration that seven million Twitter users follow him, his net worth weighs in at over 100 million dollars, and his music videos receive the most views of all time on YouTube! His music video for “Baby” (featuring Ludacris) received over 451 million views, and with over 214 million views, the video for his hit single “One Time” ranks seventh on the list of most watched YouTube videos. This in itself screams success, but what makes Bieber special is his ability to obtain such a following in under two years.

Just admit it: not only is “JB” adorable, but his upbeat, cute, and sappy lo
ve songs linger in anyone’s head for days. His “people-person” personality magnetizes all; his outgoing nature shines both on the stage and in interviews. Whether he’s singing, talking, or flirting, Bieber possesses a rare combination of humbleness and wit that no one can resist. Intrigued by this teenaged crowd-pleaser, I raced to the movie theater to see Never Say Never, a compilation of his concert footage, and an insider’s look into his life and his rise to fame. The movie made me gain a whole new respect for him because it truly demonstrates his passion and dedication to his music.

Bieber’s fans go to the extreme for him. We were all surprised when the 2011 “Best New Artist” Grammy didn’t go to him, but instead to jazz singer Esperanza Spalding. While a widespread agreement about Bieber deserving to win exists, some of “JB”’s fans showed excessive disappointment by hacking Spalding’s Wikipedia page and filling it with death threats and false facts. Bieber’s fans also make sure there is at least one trending topic per day centering around him on Twitter.

If you’re up against him in anything that has to do with a fan vote, I think it’s safe to say you’re going to lose. During this year’s All Star Weekend celebrity basketball game, Scottie Pippen learned this the hard way when Bieber won the MVP fan vote even though Pippen clearly deserved it. It might be a bit weird if any college-aged women went that far for him. We should definitely leave that up to those who make up the majority of his fan base; 10-16 year old girls.

Whether we swoon over his vocals, sense of humor, or perfect hair, “JB” is a star and he’s here to stay. We can all admit college girls love him, too. Not only is he cute in a little brother sort of way, but he also represents hard work and dedication; which are admirable qualities to be respected by people of all ages. So go ahead and blast “One Less Lonely Girl,” and admit to yourself you’re not the only one giving into the worldwide Bieber fetish.

Jaimee Swift is a Senior majoring in Communications. One of her many dreams is to become a broadcast journalist and to meet and work with the infamous Anderson Cooper. Her hobbies include reading everything in sight, running, dancing crazily, laughing uber hard, watching movies, and consuming as much juice as possible. Jaimee is so overjoyed to be a part of such a magnificent site such as Her Campus Temple University. Ever since the days of her youth, she has strives to make a difference and bring positive change to all that she touches. She still holds on to that mindset and hopes to bring positivity and creativity to Her Campus Temple University!