Wellness

Access to Technology has an Impact On Access to the COVID-19 Vaccine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

In this process, I went through two steps just to see that I was eligible for the vaccine. That in itself doesn’t even count the steps that I took to see what specific shot was offered. Research said this process entails comparing shots to the other available ones on the market, and then completing the steps to schedule the actual appointment to receive the first dose of the vaccine. Completing all of these steps was easy for me, but how would they be for someone who isn’t tech-savvy or for someone that doesn’t have access to the internet?

My grandmother, who is 79, is a breast cancer survivor and a type I diabetic. She just recently received the vaccine. This is only because she is living in a long-term care facility after falling and breaking her knee resulting in five reconstructive surgeries. I often think to myself about how she wouldn’t even know that she was eligible if she was still living independently in rural Pennsylvania. Even though she does have an iphone so she can FaceTime us while she is in the nursing home, that doesn’t mean she knows how to use it.  If she were living by herself, the only way she would have known that she was eligible was by a phone call from her primary care physician, a banner while watching her morning or evening newscast, or if her emergency contact was notified and then relayed the message.

Someone’s lack of technological skills or access to technology should not be a deciding factor of them receiving the COVID-19 vaccine.  This is an ongoing battle with millions of Americans who do not have access to reliable internet services or who simply do not know how to navigate technology.  

Around 14 million Americans do not have access to broadband services such as DSL, cable, fiber-optic and satellite services and another 25 million people do not have high access speeds or reliable services.  In addition, one-fourth of those residing in rural areas and one-third of those residing in tribal areas also lack access to such services.  That’s over 44 million U.S. households that do not have a standard internet connection because they either cannot afford it or because they do not have access to it. 

When looking at these numbers, one can see that communities of color have even less access to a strong broadband connection compared to white communities.  According to the Census Bureau, Native Americans are the least connected population with 33 percent lacking access while 47 percent of those living on tribal lands lack access and according to a recent Paw report, 34 percent of Black households and 39 percent of Latinx households also lack access to a connection. 

There should be another way to distribute this information without having technology.  People still have access to newspapers and postal services.  People who don’t have internet access also might still have access to technologies such as broadcast television or landline phone services. 

With print, it should be easy enough for a section of the daily newspaper to have COVID-19 vaccine groups with a number to call to see if one is eligible for the vaccine.  From there, they should have assistance with setting up appointments.  There should also be a newsletter sent to households showing eligibility for the vaccine and locations that administer mass shots.

Local news stations can run a banner on the bottom of the screen showing mass vaccine sites and phone numbers that can be called to aid those who might have further questions.  Phone services can also be used by setting up a COVID-19 call center dedicated to reaching Americans who do not have internet access.

Not only will these services help those who do not have access to technology, but it will create jobs for people who have been struggling during the pandemic.  According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the unemployment rate was 6.2 percent as of March 5, 2021 – that’s 10 million Americans who are currently not working and are actively seeking work.  The highest unemployment rate during the pandemic was 14.8 percent in April 2020.

This pandemic should have been a wake-up call when it comes to looking at the American people who cannot afford internet access in a time where people rely so heavily on such services.  People’s education and professional experiences have been negatively affected by the lack of internet services, and now their personal lives might be affected further because the COVID-19 vaccine eligibility relies heavily on access to internet services. This is not right and needs to change drastically.

Autumn is a senior Public Relations major at Temple University. She enjoys cleaning, homemaking and writing. She loves cats, candles, tattoos, and flowers.
I'm a social media fanatic. Between my work as a rising senior public relations student at Temple University and my personal blog (living-with-love.com) hobby, you can always find me on my phone. I'm from a small town in Connecticut and spend my free time doing barre workouts, rewatching television series, and reading new books. I joined HC as my first organization at college, and I can't imagine ending my academic career leading anywhere else!