This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

10 alternative ways to spend your weekend in college, without going to parties. 

While going to parties can be fun and a great way to socialize with new people, it’s not always the safest way to have fun and put yourself out there. There are many other ways to spend your weekend, whether that be inside or outside, by yourself or with friends, parties are not the only option.  

Go to a Concert:

Get a group of friends together, or even go by yourself to a concert near you. Check out which artists are playing and where. Going to a concert may even be a great opportunity to discover new artists and different types of music. Concerts don’t always have to be costly and played by musicians, you can also go to a local orchestra or watch local bands play.  

Try a New Restaurant:

The great thing about living in a city is the abundance of food options located all throughout the area. From Chinese food to Mexican food, and even lots of fast food staples, there’s almost any food you’re looking for located in your local city. Trying new restaurants local to you allows for you to open up your pallet and even discover some new food interests. Get out of your comfort zone and experience what the city has to offer you! 

Go Shopping:

Shopping is another great way to get to explore the area a little bit more. Shopping can be as simple as window shopping, and just looking around, or you can take friends with you and spend some money on things you may need and/or want. There’s also the option of online shopping. Some great sites for online shopping include Amazon, Shein, ROMWE, Cider, and even online sites for your local stores; Target, Walmart, Macy’s, etc.   

Binge Watch Your Favorite (or New) Shows: 

There’s many great streaming apps that allow you to watch shows or movies of any genre. The more popular streaming sites include Hulu, Netflix, Disney+, HBO Max, Amazon Prime Video, and so on. For Amazon Prime Video, when creating an account, make sure to note that you’re a college student and you should be offered discounted prices for streaming. Some popular series right now include Stranger Things (Netflix), Riverdale (Netflix), The Walking Dead (Netflix and AMC Plus), Law & Order SVU (Hulu), and so many more great series you can find through exploring your streaming services.  

Play Video Games:  

Video games are always a nice way to chill with friends while also engaging in some friendly competition. Even if you don’t have friends to play with, there’s plenty of games you can play solo, or even some storyline/campaign games if that’s what you’re into. These don’t always have to be console games either. You can play something as simple as Candy Crush or The Sims on your phone.  

Get a Part-Time Job:  

A great way to save money while also having some free time to do your own thing is by getting a part-time job. It’s a great way to spend your time, and it’s a nice learning experience to have. Jobs can teach you so many skills ranging from communication to leadership. Part-time jobs will allow you to meet some interesting people, and even make a few friends along the way.  

Clean Your Room: 

While this isn’t as exciting as some of the other ideas on this list, it’s definitely one of the most important. It’s likely that your room will need a deep clean at some point, or even do something as simple as folding that basket of clean laundry that’s been sitting for a few days. Cleaning can sometimes bring a feeling of relief and accomplishment, and it’s always nice to have a clean space.  

Study for Your Classes:  

Studying is one of the easiest, and more accessible things to do in college. There’s plenty of resources to help you study, and plenty of places to do so, including lounge areas, the library, or simply sitting on a bench outside. Don’t wear yourself down when studying, but definitely take spare time to make sure you are caught up on all of your work and readings. Try to get ahead of classes if you have some time, this will help to alleviate some stress.  

Go to a Bookstore/Read a Book:  

Bookstores are a great resource for discovering new books and genres. Reading helps you expand your horizons and your way of thinking. You can even get books online through sites like Amazon, or even the Apple bookstore if hard copies aren’t your thing. You’re bound to find something worth your while when exploring different books. There’s also the option of Audiobooks if you’re not much of a reader.  

Last, but not least, Explore Campus: 

College campuses always have events of some sort going on. From bake sales, to clubs and sports, or even some on-campus get-togethers that may interest you. These events help students get to know each other, or even provide opportunities for jobs and new experiences. This will allow you to step more outside of your comfort zone and meet new people. It’s always nice to see a friendly face in college.  

Leah Ortiz

Temple '26

Temple U '26 – Criminal Justice Major – Writer. Artist. Lawyer wanna-be. Leo sun, Sagittarius moon, Virgo rising