This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Going to college in a northeastern city like Philadelphia means enduring a true winter. There’s the bitter cold weather, super dark mornings, early nights, and of course, the post-holiday blues. 

As a senior, I’ve realized over the years how much of a toll the season takes on my mental health and my social life. Being inside all the time to stay warm, combined with the lack of sunlight, negatively impacted my daily moods and motivation, causing significant seasonal depression. 

However, this year, I vowed to not let the season’s gloom stop me from enjoying my last semester at college.  

Come with me to learn how my drastic schedule shift has helped me to beat seasonal depression. 

5:30am 

I know what you’re thinking—”WOAH, that is way too early for me.” And, despite being an early bird, even I’ve uttered this sentence. 

However, this is where the magic happens. Waking up early is the perfect way for me to pace my morning. Instead of being in a rush and out the door, the world is my oyster this early in the morning.  

Whether it’s watching a show or meditating, this is a great way to get back some “me” time that I miss during my busy day. Personally, I use this time for exercise. I feel so much more level-headed, strong, and motivated by starting my day this way.  

And my hack? My sunrise alarm clock; a complete game-changer.  

This clock mimics a natural sunrise for whatever time you need to wake up. So, instead of that toss-and-turn struggle when your phone alarm blares, you can wake up to a natural sunrise accompanied by soothing sounds or music, making it the perfect way to ease you into some of those darker winter mornings. 

7:30am 

After I wrap up at the gym, I take my time getting my ‘day’ started. Ironically, this is the beauty of being up so early, you actually have more time to do even the most minute tasks. 

I take a nice, hot shower, do my skincare, and get dressed. Since I have more time in the mornings, I can actually do cute hairstyles or put on a little makeup, which makes such a big difference in my confidence throughout the day. 

I believe that when you look good, you feel good! 

9am 

Time for class!  

I make sure I’m well-prepared with a nutritious, substantial breakfast, a full water bottle and plenty of snacks to carry me through my day.  

Whether I have class, work or my internship, I try to take brain breaks throughout the day. It may be too cold to go outside and walk, so instead I take my eyes off of my laptop for 10 minutes, lean back and close my eyes, read a book chapter, or listen to a podcast. 

This is a great way to reset your mind when you can’t switch locations. 

5pm 

My day wraps up. Sometimes I do have extracurricular commitments or networking meetings even though my day is “over”, but I make sure to prioritize a work-school-life balance. 

It is important to separate my external and internal priorities. Although it is important for me to be involved in clubs or further my career, it is equally important for me to maintain my mental wellbeing. 

I take this time to take my mind off of my day. Usually, I release my stress by cooking, finding fun, new recipes online that (deliciously) divert my focus from my busy day.  

8:30pm 

Now, it’s time for me to wind down. One of my favorite routine changes at night is putting my phone down one hour before I’m ready to sleep. 

This allows my mind to slow down and de-stimulate. Instead, I read at night with my lights turned low to tell my body that I’m ready for bed. 

10pm 

Lights out. My sleep has exponentially improved since keeping up this routine. No more of my busy mind and racing thoughts. Just that snuggly, peaceful, baby-like sleep. 

Brianna Boone is a staff writer for the Her Campus at Temple University chapter. She covers the health section with topics such as fitness, on-campus health trends, and mental health. Beyond Her Campus, Brianna worked as an editorial intern for BET/Paramount, where she wrote digital lifestyle, entertainment, music and news content for a diverse audience. In addition, as a public relations intern at Kaplow Communications, she got to apply her life-long passion of writing to the world of lifestyle and beauty brands. She is currently a senior journalism and Spanish double major at Temple University, who will be continuing full-time at Kaplow Communications after graduating in May 2024. Brianna is a Real Housewives and Jersey Shore superfan, obsessed with all-things reality television. A big part of who she is is her holistic lifestyle approach to health and wellness. The best place to find her is on a couch or on a beach!