7 Reasons to Love Temple Basketball Games

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Last Thursday, Cherry and White Night kicked off (or should we say, tipped off) the 2016-2017 basketball season on Broad Street. The season officially starts this Friday, November 11 when the Owls take on LaSalle at the Liacouras Center. To get you just as excited as we are, we compiled a list of seven things to love about Temple basketball.

1. Free Tickets 

College students are all about free stuff, and there’s nothing better than free tickets to a sporting event. Simply present your student ID at the Liacouras Center student entrance, located at 15th Street and Montgomery Avenue. You’ll receive a ticket upon entrance, and you are all set to head to the student section.

2. The Student Section 

Temple’s student section never fails to bring the energy and Temple pride that we’re known for. “My favorite part about Temple basketball is the energy in the Liacouras Center,” said Hannah Gomez, a Sophomore Advertising major, “Everyone is so happy to be there and I love sitting with the rest of the students in the student section. Although we’re not on the court, we feel like we’re a part of the team.” Being a part of the student section

3. The Diamond Marching Band 

No matter what the event is, the Diamond Marching Band is always the center of attention. Their rockin’ music and dedicated spirit help energize the crowd. Nick Zombolas, a Junior strategic communication major, said “My favorite part of the games is Temple’s Band!” Unlike most colleges, the Diamond Marching Band plays contemporary songs, such as Ariana Grande and Panic! at the Disco. They aren’t afraid to show their moves during dance breaks, which often include dabbing and their famous half splits.

4. School Spirit 

Along with school spirit comes the cheers, like everyone’s favorite, the Temple Fight Song. Two other basketball traditions include spirit fingers for foul shots and holding the “big heads,” especially to distract the other team during foul shots. Sophomore Jacquelyn Fricke enjoys taking part in the school spirit cheers. When asked about her favorite things at basketball games, she said, “The fingers before a foul shot.” Junior Vicki Gouvalis loves being able to experience the pride for the Cherry and White. Gouvalis said, “Being at a Temple game and experiencing such enthusiastic school spirit makes me proud to be a Temple Owl!” #TempleMade

5. Free Stuff 

Free stuff is always a perk. Besides your free ticket, you may even get some Temple gear or a seat upgrade. Basketball games are sometimes the best place to free get t-shirts. You may even be pulled out of the student section for a courtside seat upgrade, a Geno’s Steaks shirt, and the chance to be on camera to promote the business.

6. On-campus venue 

There’s nothing like having your sporting event right on campus. With Temple basketball games, there is no need to leave campus. This also means that students don’t have to worry about crazy transportation, like buses or subways since the venue is a walkable distance. So head to the Liacouras Center on Broad street to cheer your Owls to victory.

7. Victory 

Everybody loves being able to celebrate a sports win, especially when students get to storm the court. Last season, the Owls won 21 overall games and lost 12. In the Conference, they won 14 games and lost 4. Temple is home to eight national championships. Let’s cheer our team onto another national championship

Don’t stress, the long awaited season has almost arrived. Make sure to head to the Liacouras Center this Friday to show your support for the Owls, and don’t forget to wear your cutest game day outfit.

Temple University '19. Journalism Major with a minor in Spanish. Instagram: Arogers523 | Twitter: alexismrogers
Logan is a junior journalism major, and serves as Campus Correspondent.  She is also the proud president of Delta Phi Epsilon, Delta Nu, her sorority. Logan is typically super busy, but still dedicates hours to reading a Cosmo from front to back...twice. Logan loves all things social media, especially following puppy accounts on Instagram. Her dream is to break into the magazine industry and help empower other women to pursue their dreams, whatever that may be.