6 Coffee Shops in Philly that are Perfect for College Students

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Studying is a serious bore, but having an iced skinny vanilla latte in hand eases the pain—even just a little bit.

And no, I’m not talking Dunkin’ Donuts-type coffee. Sure, Dunkin’ coffee is cheap and good for when you’re on the go, but the hustle and bustle of a Dunkin’ Donuts joint is just no place for a study sesh. Dunkin’ may have done the trick in high school, but a high-quantity college workload calls for some high-quality caffeine. Luckily, there are plenty of relaxing and delicious coffee shops on (and off) campus that are basically made to help you bang out an essay or two. This list only includes six of our faves, but there’s dozens more that our city has to offer.

1. Starbucks at the Student Center or TECH Center

One of the easiest and most accessible options on campus is Starbucks, located at the Student Center and the TECH center. The student center offers seating both at Starbucks and in other, quieter areas throughout the building. The Starbucks at the TECH is a bit smaller, but the computer lab above provides ample seating where you can work on homework in a relatively quiet atmosphere. There is no food allowed in the TECH, but students are permitted a covered beverage (Read: that skinny vanilla latte is legal). Unfortunately, the lines at both Starbs’ can get pretty long – meaning that sometimes you end up waiting upwards of 20 minutes for your coffee. However, most times, your PSL is definitely worth it.

2. Saxby’s

Located on Liacouras Walk, Saxby’s is not only a delicious choice, but a convenient one as well. The limited seating in Saxby’s fills up quickly, but there are plenty of benches and tables outside you can sit down at with a book, write an essay or study for a big exam—all while enjoying their *amazing* cold brew, of course. Plus, their seasonal specials, baked goods, smoothies and perfectly packaged snacks are the perfect afternoon pick-me-up.

3. Milk & Honey Cafe

Milk & Honey Cafe is a bit of a hike (and a SEPTA ride) away from campus. However, their coffee easily surpasses many other options in Philadelphia, making it totally worth the trip. With brick interior and potted plants lining the windows, Milk and Honey Cafe’s atmosphere makes focusing an easy task.

4. Dilworth Park Cafe

If you’ve been to City Hall, chances are you’ve at least had a glance at the Dilworth Park Cafe. With yellow umbrellas and colorful flowers surrounding the cafe, it’s hard to miss. The trendy joint, which sells Starbucks products, provides substantial outside seating and a view of Philadelphia’s beautiful scenery. With cozy October weather coming our way, an outside homework sesh at City Hall sounds perfect.

5. Bluestone Lane

Another favorite by City Hall is Bluestone Lane, a small cafe located in The Widener Building. The cafe’s accent colors of soft blues, greens, and greys give off serene and peaceful vibes—perfect for unwinding with a good book or reading assignment. Personally, I recommend studying on Bluestone’s second floor, which consists of a lounge-like area with benches, tables and chairs. Bluestone Lane not only has quality coffee, but also might just be the quietest (and most aesthetic, if that matters) coffee joint that I’ve found in Philadelphia. They have more than one location in Philly, and a bunch in cities around the nation.

6. Square One Coffee

With string lights hanging from the ceiling and art lining the walls, Square One Coffee is your picture-perfect, artsy cafe. The South 13th Street location offers indoor and outdoor seating, making it easy to locate an ideal spot for studying. The cafe has a louder, more boisterous vibe than others, but with headphones on, banging out some assignments won’t be too hard.

So there ya have it, folks; your guide to the coffee shops that make studying for exams just a bit easier. Time to start sippin’!

When Rachel isn't obsessively drinking iced coffee by the gallon or binge watching true crime videos on YouTube, you can probably find her writing about her failed love life. She is currently a  junior (*she's ancient*) journalism major at Temple University, and is a Her Campus Temple Campus Correspondent, a Temple Student Government Social Media Manager and a 2020 Owl Team Student Coordinator. 
Temple University, 2019. Magazine journalist and editor, fitness instructor, health and wellness enthusiast. Proponent of lists, Jesus, and the Oxford comma. Will do anything for an iced oatmilk latte. Follow my journey: Twitter + Instagram: @sarah_madaus