Style > Beauty

5 Tips for Your Makeup to Last Under Your Mask

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Another daily struggle that no one could have predicted to arise during a global pandemic — preventing your makeup from transferring onto your protective face mask. For almost a year now, face masks have become a permanent accessory for ages young and old, but this shouldn’t cause the daily makeup wearer to alter their everyday routine, right? Here are a few tips and tricks to stay glammed up while masked up. 

1.  Skincare: Create a smooth base

It’s no surprise that many of us have had our own dreaded experiences with “maskne” within the past few months. Wearing a face mask for extended periods of time can cause skin irritation, as well as bacterial imbalances from the humidity caused when you simply breathe or talk. It’s important to stay on top of your regular skin-care regimen that consists of a gentle cleanser and non-comedogenic moisturizer at least twice a day. Non-comedogenic products can help promote a healthy skin barrier while minimizing clogged pores, regardless of your skin type. My personal go-to is the CeraVe Daily Moisturizing Lotion that is non-comedogenic, oil-free and fragrance-free. 

2.  Rise and Prime!

A good oil-free primer is key in preventing makeup transfer. Whether you’re maskless or not, primer is intended to fill fine lines, conceal skin imperfections and keep your makeup intact throughout the day. I have a history of struggling with dry skin, so I would recommend trying the MILK Makeup Hydro Grip Primer that succeeds in hydrating your skin while gripping your makeup. For oily skin, MAC’s Fix + Mattifying Mist is worth the try to control oil while continuing to hydrate and condition the skin. Primer can surely get the job done in gripping your makeup, but it’s important to note that you shouldn’t overdo it. Use your preferred primer in moderation to avoid too much product buildup, but still create a smudge-proof surface for makeup application.

3.  Spray All Day

Setting spray before powder? Sounds like a nontraditional technique…but it works! For this method, you want to avoid using a typical makeup sponge or beauty blender, and instead stick with your preferred foundation brush. First, apply a bit of your preferred foundation onto your brush as usual. Then, spray the brush fibers with a setting spray. The setting spray will cause the product to dry fairly quick, so make sure the makeup is applied immediately. Once your foundation is buffed into the skin, you now have an extra layer of budge-proof protection mixed into your base. 

4.  Power to the Powder

Setting powder is an essential step in transforming a dewy liquid foundation or concealer into a base product that can last all day. Using a beauty blender or compact brush to work a lightweight translucent powder into the skin can minimize a mask’s ability to pick up your face makeup when sliding over your skin. My current favorite is the NARS Light Reflecting Loose Setting Powder, which is oil-free and non-comedogenic. 

5.   Finally… Get Set!

It may seem a bit illogical to use a setting spray after using powder, but both of these products can work together to create the ultimate smudge-proof combo. Setting spray should be used a few minutes prior to putting on a mask in order for it to dry down completely. A popular product is the Urban Decay All-Nighter Spray which was my go-to for years, but I’ve recently had great success using the Charlotte Tilbury Airbrush Flawless Spray to provide a final layer of transfer-proof protection.

Many people still want to wear makeup even when wearing their masks, and I totally support it! During a period where nothing seems to be normal, makeup can be a tiny thing you can hold on to for a sense of normalcy through the chaos. Continue to stay prepped and protected while letting your creativity flow under your mask. 

Maggie Fitzgerald is a first-year journalism major from South Jersey and is thrilled to be joining Her Campus as a Fashion and Beauty Staff Writer! You'll be able to find her as a correspondent on TUTV's "Temple Talk," in addition to her position as Audience Engagement Editor for The Temple News. In her free time, she loves listening to music and indulging in the latest fashion trends. You can follow her on instagram @maggieefitzgerald and she can be reached at maggie.fitzgerald@temple.edu.
I'm a social media fanatic. Between my work as a rising senior public relations student at Temple University and my personal blog (living-with-love.com) hobby, you can always find me on my phone. I'm from a small town in Connecticut and spend my free time doing barre workouts, rewatching television series, and reading new books. I joined HC as my first organization at college, and I can't imagine ending my academic career leading anywhere else!