5 Tips To Stay Organized This Semester…For Real

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Coming back from winter break is not always fun. You have to shake your holiday and Netflix-induced coma and walk to class in below freezing temperatures. For some people, it’s really difficult to find the motivation to stay organized. Here are a few tips that will help you to stay organized and have the best semester ever.

1. Use a Planner

A planner is perhaps the most important tool to use for staying organized. According to pbs.org writing notes by hand could help you learn better. The same goes for writing things down in your planner. It is much easier to remember what you have written down in your planner and if you don’t remember, you can always go back and look at it. A planner is a great way to keep your appointments, assignments, meetings and thoughts organized throughout the semester.

2. Limit Distractions

That’s right, turn off your phone. Some people are more easily distracted than others, but the phone is the ultimate distraction. The trouble with having your phone handy is that if you respond to a text, it could lead to checking Instagram and then Twitter and before you know it you’ve wasted a half hour on your phone. Find the best place for you to concentrate and do your work and turn your phone off. You’ll get done more quickly which means you have more free time to binge watch Netflix.

3. Color Code

Color-coding is one of the easiest and most popular ways to stay organized. “I color code stuff according to the color of the books for the class,” said sophomore Lexi Dise. You can color code by using the same colored notebook and folder for a class or even by highlighting assignments in the color of your choosing for your class. Color-coding is fun and adds a pop of color to your life.

4. Find a Place for Everything

There’s nothing worse than not being able to find a handout from a professor the night before the final exam. Make sure you have a place for all of your notes and handouts. Find what suits you best be it a folder or a binder and don’t forget to keep all your papers together for each class. This goes for your desk area too. Make sure wherever you work is tidy and clean at all times. It will make finding supplies and working easier.

5. Do One Thing at a Time

Sometimes you might want to get things done so quickly that you try to do multiple things at once. In reality, this actually takes more time. According to hbr.org “…When you switch away from a primary task to do something else, you’re increasing the time it takes to finish that task by an average of 25 per cent.” Not to mention you won’t be giving your all to either one of your tasks because your attention will be divided. By doing one thing at a time you are ensuring that you are getting everything done in a timely manner and to the best of your ability.

Being organized isn’t hard as long as you stick to it. You’ll definitely be grateful to have extra time and to not have to stress about where you put something or if you’re going to have enough time to complete an assignment. Now get your planner ready and have your best semester ever!

Madeline is a sophomore Advertising major at Temple University. She is a total fashion junkie. You can usually find her in a thrift store or at the clearance rack looking for the best prices. She also has a strong love of social media, cats and 90's music. When she's not writing about fashion or beauty, she's writing short stories and poetry or taking photos. She is most happy when she is able to be her quirky, creative self. Madeline can be reached at madeline.archambault@temple.edu. You can also follow her on instagram @madelinearchambault.
Logan is a junior journalism major, and serves as Campus Correspondent.  She is also the proud president of Delta Phi Epsilon, Delta Nu, her sorority. Logan is typically super busy, but still dedicates hours to reading a Cosmo from front to back...twice. Logan loves all things social media, especially following puppy accounts on Instagram. Her dream is to break into the magazine industry and help empower other women to pursue their dreams, whatever that may be.