Wellness

5 Tips to Incorporate Self-Care Into Your Beauty Routine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

There is no denying that the past year has been incredibly challenging. In the past twelve months, we have paid attention to our physical health arguably more than ever. However, a widespread consequence of the pandemic is the unintentional disregard to mental health and self-care. It is now more important than ever before to take the time to indulge in ourselves in order to sustain our bodies, physically and mentally. A simple way to incorporate self-care into your daily life is to combine it with your beauty routine.

Epsom Salt during Bath Time is Your New Go-To

Epsom salt is a cost-effective mineral salt composed of magnesium and sulfate. These mineral salts have dual power. In terms of physical health, epsom salt helps alleviate pain all over the body by relaxing muscles and reducing inflammation. In terms of mental health, it has been shown that magnesium has the ability to improve anxiety and depression. In your next bath, throw in 2 cups of Epsom salt to feel the benefits!

Incorporate Apple Cider Vinegar

Apple cider vinegar has many more functions than you might think. Pick it up from your local grocery store to use in a healthy smoothie, as a food condiment, in the bath, or as a natural toner! This product is an easy way to feel good from the inside out or vice versa. Just make sure to dilute the apple cider vinegar with water before directly placing it on the skin.

Start Taking a Daily Vitamin

You may think you left your daily vitamin habits in the trash along with the Flinstone bottle they came in. However, there are many vitamins marketed directly towards women with many health benefits. At the store, there are a few key vitamins you’ll want to look for when choosing which daily vitamin is best for you. Vitamin D is a great vitamin for the winter months, (and quarantine months). Women typically need more calcium than men over the course of their life. Therefore, calcium is a great nutritional choice. Look for zinc to support your immune system on campus, and finally, Vitamin B-12 is a great choice to help sustain your body’s blood and nerve health.

Try Meditating During Your Daily Routine

Did you know that meditation can improve the appearance of your skin? By meditating, you are alleviating stress and adding oxygen to the skin, therefore improving your cellular health. To achieve these benefits, introduce meditation as a daily habit by trying this simple breathing exercise while carrying out your nightly routine. Imagine yourself filling your lungs with only ⅓ capacity and pause. Then, breathe until you are at ⅔ capacity and pause. Finally, reach full capacity and then exhale completely. Repeat this breath exercise during your routine for many benefits including improved skin appearance, daily body functions, and chronic pain.

Try Raw Shea Butter as a Moisturizer 

We know winters can be extremely harsh on skin. Masks can also be an added irritant to your face during the winter months. Raw shea butter is a great product to battle this issue. It is typically very forgiving to sensitive skin and is jam-packed with anti-inflammatory properties. This amazing product has also shown to slow down aging. However, it may be difficult to apply makeup over raw shea butter, therefore it may be best to add this to your night routine.

Try these tips to create a truly self-oriented beauty routine. It is time to celebrate your hardworking body for everything it does. It’s also the year of self-care, so treat yourself!

Taylor is currently a freshman Journalism major at Temple University. Outside of school, you can find her rewatching tv shows, cooking chili, or dancing.
Delaney Mills is a Senior at Temple University majoring in Communication Studies. She's has a love for fashion and Harry Styles. She can usually be found at the Bagel Hut on campus or in her bed watching New Girl. Follow her on Instagram @duhlaneyyy!!