This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Unpopular opinion: the best holiday for parties is not actually Halloween, but instead the holiday season of December.

Call me crazy, but I’d rather be holly jolly in a warm, fuzzy holiday sweater than freezing in spandex and sheer tights that, contrary to popular belief, do not make you any warmer.

Yes, Halloween is spooky and mysterious and, of course, there’s something just oddly satisfying about getting to be someone or something else for the night. But, come on, you can’t argue that Mariah Carey’s “All I Want for Christmas” doesn’t seriously get a party going. With the right supplies and copious amount of obnoxious holiday cheer, any holiday banger is sure to be a hit.

1. The right holiday music

Sorry, but the typical party music just won’t suffice — you know, the kind that *some* people just pretend to know. And, yes, by some people, I mean me. For those like me, holiday parties are awesome for just this reason: I actually know the music. For once, my extensive holiday music knowledge comes in handy — told you all it would. But in all seriousness, the right holiday jams make or break any seasonal jam. And obviously Taylor Swift’s “Last Christmas” makes the cut every single time.

2. Borderline obnoxious decorations

Red and green garland is just not gonna do, people. If you want a true holiday banger, it’s all or nothing. Hasty and careless holiday decor is like spitting right in Santa’s face — honestly, it’s unforgivable. This season, string lights go everywhere. Glitter? It’s all over the floor. And if cartoon Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeers aren’t visible at all times, then just give up now. Heck, rent out an actual Santa Clause. Needless to say, if you want your holiday rager to be a success, you’ve really got to step up your decor game.

3. The classic ugly Christmas sweater

Of course, a holiday party wouldn’t actually be a holiday party without an ugly sweater depicting some sort of scene relating to Christmas, Hanukkah, or whatever else you may celebrate. Not only does it up the holiday cheer, but it’s comfortable and, for once, you won’t be absolutely freezing in your spaghetti-strap, cropped tank top — because I know we’ve all been there.

4. Festive snacks

Put away the chips and pretzels this holiday szn, they won’t be needed. Instead, opt for more creative choices, like reindeer brownies, christmas tree-shaped cookies, and everything peppermint. There are endless alternatives to the basic chips and dip combo — for ideas, check out the ever-trustworthy Pinterest.

5. Holiday games (because, presents)     

Who doesn’t love presents? Unless you’re the literal Grinch, chances are, you aren’t one to turn down a game of Secret Santa or a White Elephant Gift Exchange. Realistically, you probably can’t play these games at a “banger” per say, but the games are simple enough to partake in at smaller get togethers and parties. Not only do you get presents, but you also get in the holiday spirit a bit more. Which is better than any present. Kind of.

I know, you probably had an absolute blast as a totally unique bunny during Halloweekend, and it may seem like nothing could compare. But as temperatures drop and peppermint-flavored coffees become the norm, you may find yourself almost forced into the cozy, cheerful holiday spirit. But hey, with ugly sweaters and fuzzy socks as your party attire, can you really complain? Blast Justin Bieber’s “Mistletoe” and accept defeat.

When Rachel isn't obsessively drinking iced coffee by the gallon or binge watching true crime videos on YouTube, you can probably find her writing about her failed love life. She is currently a  junior (*she's ancient*) journalism major at Temple University, and is a Her Campus Temple Campus Correspondent, a Temple Student Government Social Media Manager and a 2020 Owl Team Student Coordinator. 
Temple University, 2019. Magazine journalist and editor, fitness instructor, health and wellness enthusiast. Proponent of lists, Jesus, and the Oxford comma. Will do anything for an iced oatmilk latte. Follow my journey: Twitter + Instagram: @sarah_madaus